• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Red Savina Accident 10-07-08

Iggy is right...1.....plate full of peppers...

Josh...yup...gonna bury the pots next year if I don't just plant in the ground...

i would do as the others say - make a green sauce or dehydrate and make a green powder. and once again i'm amazed by the number of peppers u continue to produce. supposed to be almost in the low 80's here this weekend so the pepper plants keep going...not done yet.

Green powder! That sounds interesting!

I just powdered a bunch of odd colored peppers and it came out neon orange! Strangest color Zesty Blend to date!

imaguitargod said:
Green powder! That sounds interesting!

I just powdered a bunch of odd colored peppers and it came out neon orange! Strangest color Zesty Blend to date!

Reminds me of my "Funky Habs" powder I made:

S6301616.JPG

Stuff is super-killer. ;-D

still having a little aphid problem. but my other big naga morich is now producing pods as well. lots of jalapenos though, not to mention a bunch of tomatoes coming on. as soon as I have a ripe morich pod we are going to hurt ourselves.
R

AlabamaJack said:
Iggy is right...1.....plate full of peppers...

Josh...yup...gonna bury the pots next year if I don't just plant in the ground...

AJ why not just get some good stakes and tie the plants down - I would suggest some metal ones - and ladies pantyhose makes a good stretchy tie for plants that might be at risk of blowing over.

I have thought of the stake thing but with 300+ plants, that would be a lot of stakes. This season is nearly over so I am just going to keep on keeping on...what I have learned about growing in containers this year is that the best plants are the ones whos root have grown out the holes in the bottom of the containers into the ground....sooooo, planting the whole container with the bottom cut out next year will allow them to grow roots better....plus, my 4 contest naga morich plants are all extremely rootbound now and only produced fruit one time even though they are nearly 6' tall...

AlabamaJack said:
sooooo, planting the whole container with the bottom cut out next year will allow them to grow roots betterQUOTE]

I was hoping to ask this question, have you tried it before AJ?

That bad boy was loaded I have in the past just take them at the end of the season and hang them upside down in the garage and they all would ripen but very slowly. I would half them pickle some and greeen sauce the rest.

have not tried it yet, but the idea is to have the potting soil 5-7cm below the top of the container to give a small "reservoir" to direct the water/nutrients directly to the roots of the plants...I have been thinking about doing this since I moved one of my Trinidad Scropion plants that was potted in a 5 gallon container and was 5 feet tall...when I went to move it, there was resistance so I just jerked the container up and there was 4 or 5 roots that had grown out of the holes in the bottom of the container that were at least 5mm in diameter...one was almost 1cm in diameter and they were about 15cm long where they broke off in the ground...yup, the plant was shocked but has recovered nicely now...

and.....the containers that do not have holes in the bottom of the containers are now very rootbound and the plants are not producing because of that...but you have to remember, my superhots that are rootbound have been in those containers for about 9 months now...so it was either go to larger containers (cost prohibitive for 300 plants) or just bury the containers...

The technique of burying your pot I believe is called ring culture, and I find it works quite well with tomato plants. I like to move my pepper plants around during the summer so I usually go with larger pots instead for them, but not always

POTAWIE said:
The technique of burying your pot I believe is called ring culture

thats good to know, I thought it was called "keeping from getting busted"... OK, corny I know...but I could not resist...

Leave them be and most of them will ripen to some extent, I have had very young pods fall off, and EVERY single one ripened, it took longer than usual, but all they needed was warmth and light.

Thanks for the info AJ, looks like my veggie garden is now a Pepper garden :) After my plants take off i will cut the bottoms off and plant them in the ground. One would think that plants would love a bigger area to stretch their "legs".

I will probably do something like that with a few of them....

I have decided to make a couple of batches of Jelly today...some of the unripe red savinas will be used in one batch and the other will be 7 Pot, Dorset Naga, and Trinidad Scorpion...

did yours ever get naughty (looking) RB?

rainbowberry said:
he,he, more weird looking than naughty.

11102008482.jpg

roflmao....jeez...that is weird looking....glad mine ain't .....nevermind

Back