• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Red Savina disapoinment!

So I had lots of pots on my first growing season ever (around 80) but the peppers were not that hot!!!! I mean it was a bit hotter then the orange habanero, but not as hot as it should be for a Red Savina, I bought the seeds at ebay maybe that has a lot to do, Im planning on buying from the hippy seed company next time. What do ya:ll think? thanks and happy thanks giving day!

If you want quality go with the hippy, if you just want price, you can stick with ebay. however if you go with hippy you can get many more varieties that you. can depend are going to be how the they're getting pods. I'm not sure if you'll understand what I'm trying to say but, go with hippy not ebay, thats what I'm trying to say there.

Well...chilies crossbreed easily so the guy could have sold you seeds from ultra hot savina pods and given you some sort of cross, I guess...

The pods he took the seeds from could still have been the original savinas, even though the genetic material in the seeds (and your plants) was already different. That's why it's a good idea to buy seeds from a reputable source, so you know exactly what you're getting.

Anyway, good luck with your chilies, at least you've been able to grow some - which is more than I can say for myself (it's my first year :woohoo: )

PS: you can check out this topic to find good sources to order from: http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/11131-ordering-pepper-seeds/

Orange habaneros are often hotter than red savinas which have always had exaggerated SHU ratings
Check out this old SHU chart http://www.fiery-foods.com/article-archives/86-capsaicin/105-2001-scoville-heat-levels-reported

Orange habaneros are often hotter than red savinas which have always had exaggerated SHU ratings
Check out this old SHU chart http://www.fiery-foods.com/article-archives/86-capsaicin/105-2001-scoville-heat-levels-reported

Hey!

You seem to know your stuff... I was wondering what your opinion was on shu's - does the rating directly correspond to the perceived "hotness" of the peppers or are there more factors than the relative amount of capsaicin? Maybe something like how much moisture there is in the pod... :eek:

Hey!

You seem to know your stuff... I was wondering what your opinion was on shu's - does the rating directly correspond to the perceived "hotness" of the peppers or are there more factors than the relative amount of capsaicin? Maybe something like how much moisture there is in the pod... :eek:

SHU testing does not really measure individual capsaisinoids which all affect the burn differently.
I would think that drier pods would be hotter since they are more concentrated, as long as they were dried without using too much heat but I believe HPLC testing is done only on dry pods for accurate results

I have been growing Red Savina's for the last 6 years or so and they are always really hot, so I guess the seeds played a large part in it. I always grow from high quality, treated, Red Savina seeds and get very consistent results.

Hi Marito-

Others have already talked about important factors for getting a true seed source.

From what I understand, people have to be licensed to grow true Red Savinas. Give it another try with seeds from a better source.

Where are you located in Mexico? (general area, I'm just curious, don't need to be too specific) Were Red Savinas the only variety of chiles you grew this year?

salsalady

Hi Marito-

Others have already talked about important factors for getting a true seed source.

From what I understand, people have to be licensed to grow true Red Savinas. Give it another try with seeds from a better source.

Where are you located in Mexico? (general area, I'm just curious, don't need to be too specific) Were Red Savinas the only variety of chiles you grew this year?

salsalady

I live in Baja California Tijuana
I also grew some bhut jolokias, they were small in size but those things were insanely hot!!!!

If you want quality go with the hippy, if you just want price, you can stick with ebay. however if you go with hippy you can get many more varieties that you. can depend are going to be how the they're getting pods. I'm not sure if you'll understand what I'm trying to say but, go with hippy not ebay, thats what I'm trying to say there.
You got that right!!!!

I just happen to have fresh pods of both on hand right now. Red Savinas from AlabamaJack and orange habs from the grocery store. I'll get the SalsaKid rallied up tomorrow afternoon to do a side-by-side and hopefully we can give you some feedback.

Personally I find the flavours way different and the heat is usually very close depending on your orange hab variety.

I say forget Red Savina. They were hot 20 years ago when one pepper was measured as hot. But after that they went down hill fast. I grew from an absolutely genuine seeds many years ago and they fell flat on their face. I believe Red Savina was all hyped up. The best thing was that the Bhut came along and stopped their baloney advertising.

It might have been line bred and almost for sure was. You line breed but it does not hold. After another generation it begins to go down because it get farther from its hybrid state.

Bhuts have a great reputation for heat and tons of flavor. If you want hot that is the place to go. If you want red you may as well just grow any of the hot red like Caribbean which the red savina is almost certainly a red caribbean.

The patent on red savina has run out. as far as I know. Look into the genetics on guppy fish. you have to line breed them a few generations then throw them away and start all over. that is the nature of genetics sometimes.

Let me explain it this way.

If you keep breeding Red Savina you get good Caribbean Reds but not the little bit of extra heat. That bit of extra heat came from special picking the parents as good and hot. All a lot of work. that little bit extra heat quickly goes away and it degrades back to a regular caribbean red or whatever it started with.

Another thing that was obvious was that the shape of the pepper keeps changing. showing the genetics are not stable.

FORGET RED SAVINA. LOOK FOR STABLE GENETICS.

Another thing. That high measurement of Red Savina was not documented. It was not done under laboratory conditions. I believe it was all faked with Caribbean Reds or something close to it.

There has been a lot of disappointment on the internet about Red Savina. I was disappointed and I had absolutely genuine seeds. I think my seeds were around 1992 but I could be way off on the year. But my seeds were very early compared to today. Way back before there was much time for them to go down hill. things got much worse after that.

Just my opinion. Hope you do better. I would put my efforts into different genetics.

You can get more heat in your bottle by putting in two habs then one red savina so get a heavy yield or better taste like Hot Paper Lantern or Datil.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6299-hot-paper-lantern.aspx

Your mileage may vary. I grow in New England and your area might do better.

Orange habanero are fairly new to my region but even after 2 years I have noticed a big difference in pod quality diminishing, the pods are not as orange, not that they are unripe, just not as orange and the flavour is dull, lacking the explosive appley spirit.

last week, our local grocery store had to toss out an entire flat of orange habs due to poor quality and the fact that the local fillipino/mexican quit buying them and I can't blame them, i tried to pick through what was there but they were terrible and no way were they going to drop the price of the rotting peppers.

i purchased some scotch bonnets from a local east indian grocery store and the red pods were nice and fresh looking, the tray i purchased had a mix of ripe dark red, medium red and green pods but the overall quality was still in tact. i wonder how long before these scotch bonnets go the way of the mexican farmed orange habanero and lose their clarity and flavour.

Red savinas are true breeding and were never really an extreme pepper. They are quite different than Caribbean reds which have a different shape and flavor. One un-verified SHU test was all it took to make the savina so popular and this is why I never believe initial reports of new hottest peppers. Its so easy to manipulate results or make errors when doing hplc tests

256341 SHU is what the red savina was tested at in 2001 which is still hot but no hotter than most good orange habs

I grew the Red Savina this year, but the plant's production was abysmal. It seemed to be one of the plants that got struck the worst with bacterial spot, and by the time frost slowed down the plant and freeze killed it, I only got maybe 3-5 fully ripe peppers off the plant. I have yet to actually try them though. I was once excited, but with all I've heard so far about its heat--or lack of--I doubt I'll be impressed.

Back