• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Red savinas

Hi there,
I ran a search for some advice on growing the red savina but there wa very little to be found readily. Basically, I'd like to grow a plant to reach its full four foot potential with big beautiful pods. Any advice on how one could achieve this would be greatly appreciated.

As for my current plan... I was thinking of planting it in a huge pot and letting it enjoy the summer for now, and then in the winter, bringing it into my green room which is heated and adequately lit.

Thanks all,
August

as far as i know the Red savina is just basicly a larger Habenero. so basic growing technique should work well.. well drained soil, and only water it as much as it needs and it should to ok.. if you go with a non plant food soil, fertalize with a nice organic compost, that contains calcium, and iron, and that is well balanced. 10-10-10 has been recomended as well as 18-18-18. or if you wanna go aunatural, use worm casings, bone meal and compost. either one should work as long as you DONT OVER DO IT.. I think they prefer some shade like most peppers... just my .02$

good luck!

Welcome to the forum, Ice!

At this point in the year we've already reached the summer solstice. It usually isn't a good idea to start germination of any seeds this late in the year but it sounds like you've got an over-wintering plan in store. Honestly though, if growing from seed there are any number of exceptions to the rule but I usually start mine indoors in January. You may find that whatever you start outdoors now for overwintering may be a bit whispy and won't overwinter well. Such has been my luck when starting late!

In the event you've already got plant(s) on hand that were started earlier in the year you're in better standing. Albeit "huge'' is always good when considering pot size it's also a good idea to consider that you're going to have to move that sucker into the green room later. Rule of thumb is 5+ gallons in size. Any number of people within the forum have their own opinion for what they use when transplanting but it's always "user preference" and if you've ever grown anything in pots before then you know what works for you!

Keep in mind that when potting pepper plants there are things to consider soil-wise. The link below is a Great resource.

http://thehotpepper....-i-would-share/

There is also some very useful information here:

http://thehotpepper....over-wintering/

Do some research, surf the web, inquire within the forum and chances are you'll have every answer you'll ever need!

Welcome to TheHotPepper.com

Thank you for the welcome,

Beauty, it looks as though there are no super tricky obstacles I'm going to encounter with these - I had heard somewhere that they were challenging. As a side note, I started them way back in January and they are off to a great start, along with all my other peppers.
Thanks again,
August

Back