• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Redneck Mylar?

Been toying with the idea of using one of those Emergency Blankets made of reflective material to convert my small (2'x2'x5' tall) greenhouse into a grow tent. I started my plants indoors in this greenhouse because it was inexpensive and well made but I didn't consider that I'm losing a ton of light. Anybody used one of these? I haven't had a chance to get one yet to see how durable they are. I was going to take the greenhouse plastic off and then cut the Mylar to fit on three sides and then slide the clear plastic back on.

Definitely not a new concept. Some folks just cut cardboard to fit, then wrap with the blanket. Another choice is to use Styrofoam insulation board; the kind with the silver, shiny side. Just cut to fit and duct tape together.

Whatever you end up doing, good on 'ya for thinking outside the box and re-purposing!

I have 2 grow boxes that are just PVC frames wrapped with mylar emergency blankets.  They work quite well.

As for durability, you have to be somewhat gentle with them as the emergency blankets can rip easily.

20150209_165047.jpg

Highly recommend using cardboard to make panels. Increases effectiveness and reduces light loss (depending on gauge of mylar).

On the space blankets, just thought of the heat retention.  Thinking if hps or halide, might have to use more ventilation.  None of my big lights have their own vent ports, so in the summer I have to circulate tons of air or it gets too hot.

The textbooks i've read state that the opaque white plastic purchased from hydroponic supply stores is a superior reflector of light. It's also more durable than mylar.

Is there something about mylar that makes it better?

1C2DC0B3-C60B-499C-8B9B-2A6A5DD9FBA0_zpsoe4qkldu.jpg
[/img]

0BAD1BB9-A387-4C30-93AB-CFDDCFA605CA_zpsbjgz7wgp.jpg
[/img]

Used one of the blankets to wrap the back and sides. I had some of the reflective bubble wrap type insulation, so I used it to cover the roof of the greenhouse. Still losing light through the front/door panel but 3 sides and a roof has to be a huge benefit.
mikeg said:
The textbooks i've read state that the opaque white plastic purchased from hydroponic supply stores is a superior reflector of light. It's also more durable than mylar.
Is there something about mylar that makes it better?
I guess I never thought about white. I was just thinking shiny was better but I'm no expert. This cost me less than $3 and 30 minutes of my time, so I'm content. I do agree with miguelovic that it's somewhat flimsy. I think before next year I will make panels from cardboard and attach to the greenhouse frame.

they say glossy white is more reflective not sure never tried it , but i use mylar and need to fold or double it up, one piece is transparent  .   :dance:

careful the Emergency Blankets are very thin easily ripped 
if you know anyone in a printing factory like chip bags , that is where i got mine a double layer almost totally blocks out the light much thicker material
lots of heat is retained too but good for my land of snow :)

After reading this thread, I remembered I had a roll of mylar I got probably twenty years ago, but never used.

I got a couple of pieces of cardboard approximately 48"x48", packing tape, a can of 3M brand 77 spray adhesive, some cable ties and made a wrap-around reflector.

I taped the two pieces of cardboard together to make a 48'"x96" piece. Then, layed out the mylar and cut it so I had about two or three inches overhang all around.

I sprayed the 77 on the cardboard and mylar, doing one-half at a time, and glued them together.

I wrapped the mylar-coated cardboard around my shelving and secured with the cable ties in several places.

100_0810.jpg

100_0811.jpg

I will use another piece of carbord to make a front section, so I can totally enclose the shevling; a sort of lightbox.

I just use the double sided reflective insulation. The center is like bubble wrap so it really works as a great insulator. I have built three of them. The ones in my storage container I seal all sides and it can be 100 degrees in my container and 85 degrees inside the tent, or 40 degrees in the container and 72 degrees in the tent. I only run my lights at night to off set the temps. The 4 ft - 25 ft rolls are about 40 bucks at home depot.

Back