• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering regarding my overwinters

Ghost scorpion
Red moruga
Numex 6-4l

So I've been told just to let them grow back after pruning then start fert once they get back to normal. But after a lot of reading, I'm wondering if and how I should change the soil? I originally planted with mg potting mix last year, but I found a Fox farm vendor in town, so I'll be stocking up for this years grow anyway. I don't want to ruin the root system and kill my plants, so if I should change soil, how do I go about doing so successfully? All three are in 5gal (I think?) pots.
If soil change isn't recommended, when what and how should I fert them?

I wouldn't worry so much about doing stuff to them as far as fertilizing and changing soil. Just my .02 so take with a grain of salt. This is my first year overwintering too. I'm not fertilizing mine at all, just watering every few weeks, and keeping under a strip of t8 lights 12 hour a day. They are in 5gal buckets. I don't like the soil mix I made last year, but  I'm going to leave them in it until Spring, then put them directly in the ground. They are putting out some new leaves since I pruned them, and so far looking fine.

Well I am noticing signs of new growth from the nodes, but just barely. I put them in the Sun in between rainy cold fronts, letting them take a little rain from each pass depending on soil condition.
I didn't do anything to them all last year after potting up, but I'm wondering if they don't mind a little fert now and then, especially when they're sitting in year old soil that's probably lost a decent amount of whatever nutes it had.

Edit: Jamie I have the osmocote veggie granules that I think are 7-7-7, would those work?

Edit again: osmocote flower and veggie. 14-14-14. Non burning, feeds up to 4 months. This seems a little much no?

Back