• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Reminder: T-12 fluorescents discontinued after 12/31/10

Downriver

eXtreme
It's that time of year where folks start to look to build/modify/improve their seed starting/growing setups. Don't forget that T-12's will no longer be manufactured after 2010.

Just an FYI. :)

bummer, i wonder how long it will be until we have to use t2's

tfluor.jpg

the last bulb is the t2! tiny things

edit: didnt read link!

good thing Home Depot sells them by the case...gonna go buy several cases...
thanks for the reminder...

Wow, I didn't hear about that either. I was thinking about slapping together a cheap 4 light shelf. Not worth it if it's a dead end tech. Funny that I got a very nice price on a pile of T12 bulbs and fixtures thanks to an energy saving subsidy.

Zander, you can easily use T8s in replacement of T12s. No big deal. T12s put out more watts, but they both work well. The fixtures aren't obsolete. :)

Chris

Good news, for some reason I thought they needed new sockets. Turns out I don't, and I think my ballasts will work just fine. Thanks Chris.

Thanks for the alert, I didn't know about the T12's either, I have 4 fluorescent fixtures that have 2 bulbs each fixed to my finished basement ceiling, 1 fixture has been burnt out for about a month, the wife and I were at walmart yesterday and debated on buying the T12's and decided to shop around, I think they were $9 for a 2 pack.

of course, after reading this post, I am googling all over the place for more information and what mixed up, confused world - so goes the reliable internet.

one post has a user putting T8 into a T12 fixture and though they fit, the T8's just ficker, so now I am confused too! I guess I could go back to walmart and ask the reliable, pimpled faced 19 year old kid, if they would work or better yet, the recent immigrant, who still hasn't learned english and last month only knew how to turn on lights with match and candle.

i'll keep searching.

I'm just getting ready to build a small germination/grow setup and was looking at maybe a 4ft/4bulb setup, then potted outside. Would it be worth while to just bite the bullet and get a T5 setup and how much more would that be worth in the long run.

I'm just getting ready to build a small germination/grow setup and was looking at maybe a 4ft/4bulb setup, then potted outside. Would it be worth while to just bite the bullet and get a T5 setup and how much more would that be worth in the long run.

my current set up sits on an old, low to ground coffee table and i am looking at getting one of those 5 stacked plastic shelving units. i have seen fixtures that are 2ft, 3ft and 4ft in length that i can fix to the shelving unit. the 3ft length would fit best but i want to use full spectrum bulbs. can you get T5 in full spectrum lighting bulbs?

I was wrong unless you have an interchangeable ballast T-8 bulbs cannot be used in T12 fixtures. They'll burn them out supposedly. That said I have no doubt T12 bulbs will be around to puchase at big box stores for a long, long time. :) Home Depot has TONS of them. I was thinking of reduced energy T12 bulbs operating at 34 or 25 watts. Some fixtures were built not to accommodate higher than a 34 watt T12 bulb, which seems dumb to me. T8s actully put out 25% of more lumens that T12s and the bulbs are 34 watts instead of 40 watts. Interesting. I wonder if Home Depot sells T8 fixtures for $8-9 like they sell the T12 ones? I doubt it. :) if they made super narrow reflectors in which you could fit 8 T8 bulbs over a 24" wide space, that wouldn't be bad price wise.

Chris

Even if you change ballasts, t12 lamps and fixtures have very different reflectors than t8 fixtures because the lamp (t8) is smaller and easier to aim. Same applies to t5 fixtures.

Yes, the sockets for a T12s & T8s are interchangeable. However, you will need to switch from a magnetic ballast to an electronic ballast. The T8s will work for a period of time in the T12 ballast, but you won't get the full life out of these bulbs (most T8 bulbs are 10,000 hr average bulbs).

It really isn't all that difficult to change out the ballasts either, just follow the wiring diagram located on the ballast.

Back