• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Removing Flower Buds?

I have a question about my young plants producing flowers. I heard that you are supposed to remove the flower so the plant can focus its energy on rooting and becoming stronger. Is this a common practice? Is there a link how and when I should do this. I was also thinking about pruning and F.I.M.ing my plants. I've seen a bunch of different ways on how to do this, any recommendations?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Plants are around 4" tall

I would snip the buds at that stage of growth but thats just me.  Usually I wait after topping it for them to bush out more, top those and then let it flower.  Everyone does it a little different depending on their variety and needs, thats the fun part.
They look pretty healthy so your doing something right.

Here's a pic of an SR strain with 5 pods at its first node and its growing just fine...
I would have zero pods there if i had plucked the flowers...
I personally would only consider plucking them if it was too cold for the plant to produce proper full sized pods. (because they would turn out as not-hot runt pods anyway).
image_zps4f4f6280.jpg

twilliams386 said:
From sow or sprout? That's pretty damn good for that age!
THANKS!

I sowed them. 
nzchili said:
Here's a pic of an SR strain with 5 pods at its first node and its growing just fine...
I personally would only consider plucking them if it was too cold for the plant to produce proper full sized pods. (because they would turn out as not-hot runt pods anyway).
image_zps4f4f6280.jpg
I live in New Hampshire and it's like -20F with the windchill right now. I'm starting indoors and moving them outside when the weather is appropriate.

BurkeasaurusRex said:
THANKS!

I sowed them. 
I live in New Hampshire and it's like -20F with the windchill right now. I'm starting indoors and moving them outside when the weather is appropriate.
Haha you're welcome, but I mean are they 1.5 months from the time the seed hit dirt or from the time it sprouted?

nzchili said:
image_zps4f4f6280.jpg
5 pods on one node????

I quit.

Yea def pull them.  I just squeeze them between 2 fingers and pull straight up and they come off nicely.  If you have a small pair of scissors that works too obviously.  

I planted too early. Its my first year & I planted in waves anticipating some failures along the way. My first batch was planted in late October, languished until the first week of December before they took off. I didn't have too much problem deciding to pluck the flowers off some cinnamon bells, not much problem with the jalapenos, large thai orange & purple cayenne, eh I guess I'm OK plucking them... Now I'm getting some brown morugas & paper lanterns starting to flower & am having more trouble being comfortable plucking. ...maybe if I just pluck most of the flowers & leave a couple?? I know its for the best in the long run but seems counterintuitive. Hard to be mean to the little guys.

Back