• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Removing Seedlings from Propagator?

Hi all,

I'm transferring a couple of seedlings from my propagator, specifically a Hydrofarm CK64060 Hot House, to bigger pots and I'm wondering how to do this safely. How should I actually remove the plant and not damage it in the process? I can't grab the chile seedling by the stem right? I was planning on watering the soil and using a table knife to loosen the sides, but then how should I slide the seedling out?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks so much!!

I normally saturate the soil and use a good ol' ice cream sundae spoon to scoop the little guys out. I think Justaguy came up with a pretty unique method in his growlog. At least with my method, you get to eat the sundae first and then keep the spoon ;)

what kind of plug or started containers are you using? my mini, heated greenhouse came with 9 plug container. for my soil plants i just squeeze all sides of the plug, then push from the bottom upward and remove the cylinder shaped core and put that into a fixed coir container. then fill the coir container with my soil mixture. i leave the plant in the coir container and depending on the type of plant, i may leave it in the greenhouse with added humidity(i live in a very dry climate). annuum types get put on the window ledge in another tray.

if i am moving seedlings that are not in soil, those targeted for my dwc, they are already in rockwool and i just move the rockwool plug into a homemade container(yogurt cup) and into the dwc slot it goes.

good luck.

I normally saturate the soil and use a good ol' ice cream sundae spoon to scoop the little guys out. I think Justaguy came up with a pretty unique method in his growlog. At least with my method, you get to eat the sundae first and then keep the spoon ;)

Yep, that's what I'm going to do! Thanks so much.

what kind of plug or started containers are you using? my mini, heated greenhouse came with 9 plug container. for my soil plants i just squeeze all sides of the plug, then push from the bottom upward and remove the cylinder shaped core and put that into a fixed coir container. then fill the coir container with my soil mixture. i leave the plant in the coir container and depending on the type of plant, i may leave it in the greenhouse with added humidity(i live in a very dry climate). annuum types get put on the window ledge in another tray.

if i am moving seedlings that are not in soil, those targeted for my dwc, they are already in rockwool and i just move the rockwool plug into a homemade container(yogurt cup) and into the dwc slot it goes.

good luck.

Thanks for your reply. I don't think I'd be able to squeeze the sides of my hydrofarm propagator... sounds like you have a better setup than I do!

3 words. Old venetian blinds.
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/20287-justaguys-2011-garden-season/page__st__80

Back