• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Replacing HPS ballast on a budget

My HTGSupply 250w ballast is now a 250w paperweight. I need to replace it, but I'm poor. What is the best bang for your buck? I'd like to spend as little money as possible, preferably less than $100. What are you thoughts?

Metal Halide, I presume?

I find several sites with ballast kits starting in the mid-$40s.

EDIT:

Re-read the title, HPS ballast starting in upper-$50s, sorry.

But, I have to ask; why HPS and not a full-spectrum HID, i.e. Metal Halide?

alkhall said:
But, I have to ask; why HPS and not a full-spectrum HID, i.e. Metal Halide?
Nothing against MH bulbs (I have two setups with a 250w and a 600w), but one thing I figured out early on was MH bulbs actually increase the nutrient uptake of the plants under it.  Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, just have to pay attention to them to look for signs of deficiency and fertilize a slightly more frequently than normal.  Just a fun fact for ya ;)

EDIT: whoops, completely forgot to answer the question lol!  Try amazon I usually get good prices there.

I'm assuming you already have a good bulb and hood?  Growershouse has Quantum 600W digital ballasts for $103 with free shipping.  That's a killer deal on a dimmable digital ballast from a great company.  You'll need a new bulb and possibly a new reflector though, which adds to the costs.

Back