• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Repotting Cayenne + Habanero into final pot

Heya!  :party: 

So I am growing Cayenne and Habaneros

This is my first time growing, I've raised them from seed and done many transplants along the way.

- My question is when should I repot them into their final, biggest pots? 

I've read it's bad to repot whilst they are flowering...so should I do it before that occurs? How can I identify the right time?

1. Cayenne. 

C.JPG

2. Habanero. 

H.JPG

3. Tomato plant (which is in the same size pot I will use for the chilli, the final pot). 

T.JPG

Mr. Angie Piggie said:
Heya!  :party: 

- My question is when should I repot them into their final, biggest pots? 

I've read it's bad to repot whilst they are flowering...so should I do it before that occurs? How can I identify the right time?

One of the major reasons to move plant to larger pot is they get root bound when they out grow their current location...

root-bound-plants.jpg

I don't remember reading about flowering being an issue.

And we have a bunch of Aussies that are regulars here. Make sure you hanfg around & say HI! when thet post!

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

One of the major reasons to move plant to larger pot is they get root bound when they out grow their current location...
root-bound-plants.jpg

I don't remember reading about flowering being an issue.

And we have a bunch of Aussies that are regulars here. Make sure you hanfg around & say HI! when thet post!

Right so I can easily identify that...this is a very noob question but: how can I check this? I have seen videos of people sliding the plants out to take a look - but when I try the soil just spills out everywhere...

maybe once it's roots are really developed I can slide it out and the soil will stay firm?

Mr. Angie Piggie said:
Right so I can easily identify that...this is a very noob question but: how can I check this? I have seen videos of people sliding the plants out to take a look - but when I try the soil just spills out everywhere...

maybe once it's roots are really developed I can slide it out and the soil will stay firm?

Yep.  Also, flip the container and tap them out when they are at their driest and the dirt will hold together better.  As you do it a more times you'll get a good feel for when they're getting close to filling out the container.

I agree with NECM that there's not a problem with transplanting during flowering so long as you're reasonably careful with the rootball during transplant. 

To "bookend" what NECM said about potting up before they get rootbound, my thoughts on when it's too soon to pot up are:  first, if the root ball isn't established in the current container, it's far more likely to get broken up on transplant - transplanting when the soil is drier will help avoid this, though.  Also, potting too small a plant (root ball) into too big of a next step container, while not bad in and of itself, can create issues with proper watering.  This is because a small plant with roots only near the surface will dry out while the rest of the pot is still wet. It can still work, but it's easier to avoid watering issues when the roots fill a reasonable percentage of the new pot.

Welcome, and good luck with your peppers!

Awesome, thank you so much for the prompt responses and help!  :onfire: 

Really glad I joined this forum, and one day I hope to enter my own hot-source into The Hot Pepper competition! 

Mr. Angie Piggie said:

That is correct. Here is a pic of "developing" root mass.

Transplanting-of-Chili-Peppers.jpg

CaneDog said:
To "bookend" what NECM said about potting up before they get rootbound, my thoughts on when it's too soon to pot up are:  first, if the root ball isn't established in the current container, it's far more likely to get broken up on transplant - transplanting when the soil is drier will help avoid this, though.  Also, potting too small a plant (root ball) into too big of a next step container, while not bad in and of itself, can create issues with proper watering.  This is because a small plant with roots only near the surface will dry out while the rest of the pot is still wet. It can still work, but it's easier to avoid watering issues when the roots fill a reasonable percentage of the new pot.
Hey CD, the above needs a bit more root growth before transplanting, correct?

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

That is correct. Here is a pic of "developing" root mass.

Transplanting-of-Chili-Peppers.jpg

Hey CD, the above needs a bit more root growth before transplanting, correct?

Hey NECM.  For me, I'd be comfortable potting that up at this point, because I see some root activity throughout the mass.  I might target a little more development as optimal, though, as you suggest. Also, that root ball looks fairly dry and is holding together, but it could accidentally break apart pretty easily, which could tear roots and strip root hairs.

Everyone's going to have their own ideas and comfort levels, but I think the two pics you've posted are good general guidelines for not before and don't wait quite this long.  Your root bound example above shows how the roots are winding rather than filling out and it's into that range where I see it obstructing the expansion of the roots into the mew media after transplant.  If I were trying to pick optimal, I'd suggest it's closer to the less developed example rather than in the middle of the two.

Back