• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

repotting

I have my 7 pot in the garden right now and it is about 50 inches. I am wanting to re-pot it to bring it in for the winter sometime in October depending on what happens . The question I have should I cut it back to re pot and if so how much??
this plant produced peppers all throughout the winter all though it was only a few and it was 3 ft high. I place it by an unscreened window facing the south/west so it seems to work pretty good indoors. thanks pappy

How large is the pot it's in now?

October is a ways off and the plant will probably be a lot larger by then and you'd be better able to assess the need for a pot increase.

My overwintered plants didn't get a cut back or a new pot until spring, but depending on your current pot size you may want to pot up b4 October.

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. THE PLANT IS IN THE GROUND RIGHT NOW BUT WAS IN A BIG POT AND THE PLANT HAS GROWN A FT SINCE PUTTING IT IN THE GARDEN.

In the ground your root system is extensive and a whole different matter entirely. Some here cut their plants back to a stump and reduce the root mass as well. I prefer picking pods during the winter. :)

You'll need to decide what you want, cut or not, but you'll need to assess pot size needed after digging that monster up. If you have the space, I'd cut back as little as possible to accommodate its new potted home. It'll probably need at least a 7gal pot and maybe 10. :D

thanks I am worried about it being too late if I wait till winter to transplant. in this pic it is about 4 ft i have 4 different stalks coming out of the ground !!
IMG_0770.jpg

True, the longer you wait the more difficult it will be to return to a pot. How long has it been in the ground.

Here's a shot of one of my overwintered plants that has the multiple stalks living in its current 7 gal pot but has always lived in a container.

2nd year Datil right and this years Datil left.
Datilx2_7-15-09.jpg

Since it has been in the ground so long and it's a large plant it's going to be a job digging it up anyway, so I'd just leave it where it is until October and dig it up then so as not to interrupt this years harvest. Just get a large pot ready for October. :)

Back