• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Reservoir Color - Black?

Uncle Eckley

Extreme Member
Does a hydroponic reservoir - say, for DWC or Kratky - really have to be black or otherwise completely opaque?  I've seen folks here grow in transparent glass jars with no apparent ill effects..  I assume the fear is growing algae or some other such undesirable thing if light penetrates the reservoir.

Aw, boo. The black bucket folks are on to us.

Interested in what some of those with the jars have to say.

You can grow in just about anything. I take empty 1 liter juice bottles and paint them black. Watch some of Peter Stanley's YouTube videos. He's got some great videos on DIY Kratky setups.

Check out Dragonsfire's glog he does or did grow Kratky in clear containers.  I have one going too in a clear container, but I stepped it up recently to a bigger clear jar and it started showing a little algae.  Was crystal clear for a long time and isn't bad now.  Cool to see the roots.

[edit - links are to mine. Unfortunately I don't have a direct link for DF's]
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/70211-canedog-off-season-season-201819/?p=1599181
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/70211-canedog-off-season-season-201819/?p=1599539

I'll probably just clean it out a little and try a little H2O2 and see if that helps.  I'd like to keep this guy clear until it goes into the dirt to go outside.

Could it be a matter of "dosage?"  Tailor the nutrient concentration to the plant's needs and it will outcompete the algae?  Or, algae can only take advantage of any "extra" nutrients available?

I was reading something last night about just using a heavy duty black garbage bag as a liner inside the container.. Forget who's log that was on.
I want to do Kratky outside and I would think you'd have to repaint a black bucket for that, or it'd get too hot inside. If you used a black liner in a white bucket, the algae would probably be limited to the outside of the liner, while not increasing reservoir temps.. At least that's what I took from it. 

CraftyFox said:
I was reading something last night about just using a heavy duty black garbage bag as a liner inside the container.. Forget who's log that was on.
I want to do Kratky outside and I would think you'd have to repaint a black bucket for that, or it'd get too hot inside. If you used a black liner in a white bucket, the algae would probably be limited to the outside of the liner, while not increasing reservoir temps.. At least that's what I took from it. 

So, if you use a liner, there shouldn't be any algea because none of the nutrients are exposed to the light.

Generally if you pick up a can of chalkboard aerosol..you can cover it black or any color and the light shouldn't come through. I've done mine in blue, white, pink and black.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

CraftyFox said:

All of my outdoor or in greenhouse Kratky containers are painted silver to reflect the sunlight. Most of the garbage cans and tubs were black originally. I have been doing it this way for about 5 years now.

rinauldi said:
I wrap aluminum foil around my Kratky quart mason jars. Its simple and keeps the light out. I always figured that it wasnt worth the risk of algae.
Just wrap it? No adhesive or anything? They must not get handled much, huh?

Uncle_Eccoli said:
Just wrap it? No adhesive or anything? They must not get handled much, huh?
Im fairly careful, but its never been much of an issue. Ive had to add another layer once or twice, but not often.

Attachments

• E57F6BBD-A9EB-4373-B53C-2F386D7D493D.jpeg
    E57F6BBD-A9EB-4373-B53C-2F386D7D493D.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 67
Back