• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Reusing same soil next year???

Hey all,

I read a post on here somewhere about keeping and reusing the same soil from this years plants for a year or two and just adding some new soil or amendments to "freshen" it up a bit.

I am curious as to how one would go about keeping soil over winter.... I live in Northern Michigan and will over winter a few plants in my grow room in the basement, but with the ones I toss it would be nice to keep the soil, if its worth it, to lighten up the soil purchases next spring.

Can I just keep it in a large rubbermaid container in the basement or how to do some of you do this if you do?? I just dont want to have it growing any thing funky in it over the winter lol or any hosting any creepy crawlys...

Thanks for any advise as always!! :-)

I reused soil from last year this year, what I did was sift the dry soil it through a screen to filter out roots (and sticks, mulch, perlite) what I had left was soft and sandy soil. I then added new perlite, added slow release fertilizer and powdered egg shells.

When I needed soil for a container, I went 50/50 new soil + refurbished soil. I am having my best year yet, so it didn't hurt me, that's for sure.

I kept the old refurbished soil in a large cardboard box with a large trash bag lining the inside

I'd put the used soil outside in an open bin or a 3 sided containment area and throw kitchen waste and other compost into it all winter; turning it often. Be sure to include egg shells and citrus waste and some coffee grinds. If you've got some wood ash throw in some of that as well. Cheers.

I recycle my soil year to year losing about 25-40% of the soil due to roots in the containers...with almost 400 containers, I need between 3.5 and 4 yds each year...

At the end of the season (first of December), I simply lay out a tarp or heavy plastic, empty the soil on it and let it stand until I use it starting the end of march

Like Ajarn, I mix new potting mix with the old soil to freshen it up, not a 50/50 mix for me,more like a 75 old/25 new ...it definitely cuts down on the expense of new soil each year...

Sounds Great guys! Thanks for the advice.... I will sift it then put it in a large rubbermaid container on my covered front porch where the plants are now. I doubt I will be able to do much with it over the winter as it will probably freeze solid December through March.

well you could mix it into a compost pile if you have one. "refreshing" it as it were. and eventually turning it into compost or better dirt.

i'm starting a compost pile myself. that's if my parents don't find it and throw it out. lol.

I leave mine out over winter so it can get all the nutrients from the ice and snow. In the spring, I dump one bucket at a time into a wheel barrel, break up the dirt, take out any grubs I find, add new stuff, put back in bucket and we're ready to go! :onfire:

I'd put the used soil outside in an open bin or a 3 sided containment area and throw kitchen waste and other compost into it all winter; turning it often. Be sure to include egg shells and citrus waste and some coffee grinds. If you've got some wood ash throw in some of that as well. Cheers.

This is my first year that I am going to attempt to reuse soil. In the literature Ive read it says much the same thing this quote... put it all together and treat it as a compost pile. This year bought a 10$ plasic garbage bin to put my old soil in. I found this great book that has really been helping me with the gardening stuff like this.. it explains how you balance you compost so no bad organisms grow, yet keeping good organisms growing by mixing the right amount of green vegitation (grass cuttings) and veggies,.. etc (Im still reading up on it so Im not well versed in it yet!)

Anyways, the books called "The practical Gardening Encyclopedia" On the cover theres no author it just reads, "consult editor geoffrey burnie"

.. found it on the sale rack at barnes and nobles..

good luck!

xo nicole

Thanks again for all the help everyone!!! Once my pods stop taunting me and decide to ripen, I will have to get some pics of them up also...

Back