• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Review: Carribean Red

Also got this one from PRF. Another 1/4 piece I ate. Very tasty, crunchy, sweet, fruity, low on heat. This could be put in salads, eggs, burgers.....

IMG_1123.jpg

15 minutes ago I had my first Hot Lemon and wow, what a unique flavour. We eat regular yellow bells all the time but this Hot Lemon as described has a lemony citrus flavour and true to word it was - like a lemon exploding in my mouth. Delicious! Oh, it had some heat but not overwhelming, I am still remembering the citrus lemon explosion. Seeds are now safely stored away for next year.

I have had orange habs and 2 days agp a red scotch bonnet but you remember the flavour by the smell - that lingers. Then the heat kicks in and you wonder why do you do this to yourself. The package of scotch bonnets had some unripe green so I gave that a try and must admit, I like green unripe scotch bonnet better.

I am closely watching my Carribean Reds as they are taking their sweet time ripening.

I am coming to realize Wasatch is a "freak of nature" in a good way. He definitely has a high capsaisin tolerance and enjoys his peppers!

15 minutes ago I had my first Hot Lemon and wow, what a unique flavour. We eat regular yellow bells all the time but this Hot Lemon as described has a lemony citrus flavour and true to word it was - like a lemon exploding in my mouth. Delicious! Oh, it had some heat but not overwhelming, I am still remembering the citrus lemon explosion. Seeds are now safely stored away for next year.
I tried the Hot Lemon a little while back, and I couldn't sense any lemon/citrus flavor. But what I did taste was pretty unique and good. And with some good heat, at that. I really don't know if I'll grow the plant next year; there are so many others to try, and the Hot Lemon seems to be the most demanding. It needs water constantly compared to the others (except the habs) and in general just seems to want a bigger pot. It's growing like crazy too; not as tall as the Tabasco, but its stems are bending over from the weight of the peppers and it just takes a lot of room. It looked like a tree before the side branches started growing... back then, it was much more compact. Now it's sprawling. But I think sometime in the future I'll probably try it out again... when I have the extra room to spare, a bigger pot, and a permanent location for it. The plant is loaded with peppers.

More on topic, I'm probably going to try a Caribbean Red for the first time soon. My plant has had it rough, but there are some finally ripening.

Ultra, I am sorry your experience wasn't the same as mine was with the Hot Lemon.
Wait... I have a piece upstairs still..... wait..... yep, bam, boom, smash... it still gives me the same explosive hit.
My plant was from Burpees, I have three, and they are over a foot in height and as for demanding, they are really sensitive, they hate any type of fertilizer including epsom salt - the leaves turn yellow quickly and drop.
But keeping on the Caribbean Red, mine are still in a very light yellow/green state and I am babying them so I can give an educated test.
I will grow the Hot lemon again next year.

Wasatch is a tester, a safe tester and I like that, all of us who are not from the southern US or Caribbean have waited a long time for any kind of pepper with heat and slowly they are coming our way. There are a number of Canadians growing the real hotties, I don't think I need their experience in eating anything hotter than a habanero, though I am an animal, after testing something once, I can safely say I like taste value over heat value.

Keep chomping Wasatch, one pepper at a time.

I've got a bunch of ripe Carribian reds on the go right now. I'm going to have to give them a shot pretty quick. My dog tried one earlier today. Spit it out pretty damn quick too. I'm guessing it was a touch hot for her :).

Ultra, I am sorry your experience wasn't the same as mine was with the Hot Lemon.
Wait... I have a piece upstairs still..... wait..... yep, bam, boom, smash... it still gives me the same explosive hit.
My plant was from Burpees, I have three, and they are over a foot in height and as for demanding, they are really sensitive, they hate any type of fertilizer including epsom salt - the leaves turn yellow quickly and drop.
Mine was also from Burpee--pre-grown and purchased as an already impressively-large plant from Burpee Home Gardens (my aunt actually bought it for me). I noticed that the plant didn't like a good watering during transplant unlike the many others; I quickly realized that the plant was getting too much water as its leaves began to yellow, fall off, and dry in spots. Ironically, now it's about impossible to overwater, and the thing is first to wilt every day or two as I mentioned. Didn't notice a problem with fertilizer; I fertilize it with 2 1/2 teaspoons of Miracle-Gro tomato food and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of epsom salt per ~1 gallon of water, the same as all the other potted plants (but none of them were fertilized until the beginning of July, when they were already well established). Really, except the plant's excessive thirst and major bushiness, it is actually quite healthy I think. If it was more compact, I'd probably consider growing it again soon... I really do like the peppers themselves and their heat level.

It's one of the most impressive plants I have in terms of overall growth/size, size of peppers, and number of peppers produced, and that's not a bad thing. It's just that it would be better off in a bigger container with more room, so it could retain water better. I don't want to know just how cramped the roots are right now either...

When my pups were young they used to watch me intensely when I was in the kitchen and I will not have dogs that beg. So...one day when they came up and stared at me to "will me" into giving them something, I happened to be making salsa. Well...I let them just lick the pepper, now it was only a jalapeno but it got the point across. My mom chastised me about it but I can safely say that the dogs do not go near the pepper plants and do not beg either. Two birds with one stone ;)

Back