• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Review (short story) of Kneepers "Pinay Hab Extreme"

I love all sauces, but my favorites are those that add a little something extra to change the common flavor profile just a bit so thought I would pick up few bottles from Just a Guy aka Kneepers since he has sauces that include flavors from Pineapple, Apple, and Orange. I picked up a bottle of each, but I went with the Pinay Hab Extreme for this review.

At first look the bottle had a nice logo and the sauce had great texture and color. It was an off orangish red so I knew it had a good amount of pineapple in it. I like to turn the bottle over then back to see how fast the sauce runs down the inside of the bottle. This sauce was not too thin or thick, and you could still see bits and pieces of pineapple strands so I knew I was in for a treat.

I proceeded with a quick finger dab just to get a hint of the amount of heat I would be indulging in shortly. The heat was right there as expected for an "extreme" sauce. Slightly sweet with a tiny bit of tang and a great pineapple draw left lingering on your tongue.

I moved forward with tiny bit on a teaspoon. I will admit my heat tolerance isn't what it used to be so I didn't get a full teaspoon to start off with, but instead just enough to fill my palate so I can fully experience the sauce. Wow the heat is a quick fire right on the tip of your tongue that slowly eases to the back of your throat giving you a nice warming sensation. It's not a painful, uncomfortable burn, but you know your eating a sauce that was made with more than just the common store bought habs for sure. The pineapple flavor did follow up with a sweet tangy zip, but I was caught up enjoying the heat of the sauce at first.

I gave myself a minute or two before placing some on a butter cracker. Since my endorphins are already firing and my stomach has a slight warming sensation with my palate now adjusted I gave myself a good amount on the cracker and went head in. As expected the heat was full forward and aggressive, but this time around I got a lot more pineapple flavor. I think a bit of salt on the cracker did help and allowed my quivering taste buds to open up just a bit more. The sauce had great balance of heat, texture, and flavor. However this isn't the type of sauce you would put on your table for guest unless you've invited a fellow chilli head over. It's the type of sauce that only a true chili head would enjoy and appreciate. The sauce did hit me hard, but it was tolerable and not bitter or acidic with a strong concentration of just peppers.

At this point I sat back and tried to think about what types of foods would compliment the sauce and not fight with it's flavor profile or in this case something that would stand up to it's aggressiveness while I thought about what I would cook for diner.

I had judge a KCBS BBQ competition over the weekend so I had a nice amount of the best sliced brisket (that you can't buy) leftover in the fridge and I thought wow that would taste great with the sauce. So I diced up some potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, onions, and a few other items and pulled a curry packet out of the pantry. Stewed the ingredients and made up the sauce and added a generous amount of Pinay Hab.

Cooked a couple cups of rice and sat down with the bottle of sauce in hand. This was it a great pairing as the sauce was right there from the first bite and the fact that the sauce had a good amount of heat along with pineapple really stood up to a hearty thick beef curry over rice, and gave it a little something extra. It was enough heat to stand on it's own without demanding that 1/4 of the bottle be used. The flavors of the sauce wheren't lost with bold flavors of a curry. I pulled a good sized piece of the Smokey award winning brisket off by itself and added a few extra dabs of the sauce and really enjoyed it just like that. In fact I opted to dab and dab a bit of extra sauce for the entire meal.

I think I'll take the sauce down to my bros bar and make up a batch of hot wings and see how that goes with a few beers and buddies this weekend!

All and all this was a great extreme full forward sauce with a lot of pineapple flavor, great balance, and texture that proved it can hold it's own with a good hearty meal. No need to hide this sauce from the better half behind the OJ in the fridge because she won't bother with it unless she's a true chilli head!
Ingredients; pineapple, habs, naga, fatalli vinegar, brown sugar, onion, lime juice and garlic
http://www.knepperspeppers.com/

This is LGHT's last unofficial review. He is now an Official Reviewer. Great in-depth reviews.

Great review LGHT. Why have I not had any of these sauces yet? Hell, Brian only lives a little over a half hour from me! Going to have to fix that.

Just got a bottle of Piney Hab and Tongue Wrapper delivered yesterday. Hands down some of the best sauces I've ever had.

Just got the Piney Hab Extreme, tried it tonight on some chicken enchiladas. Great stuff! Will absolutely be ordering more

Congrats LGHT :) I loved the review, well written. I have recently ordered "Habermelon" "tongue wrapper" and "pineyhabextreme" I cannot wait to get these sauces....this review is a pleasure and a pain all at the same time lol. Thanks LGHT for making me even more impatient with your amazing review
mouthonfire.gif
lol I will have the deliciousness soon enough.

Back