• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking rib rub

I'm looking for a good homemade rib rub. last couple of times i just used a store bought rub, but would like to make my own. anyone have one that they know is good? i'm thinking something with brown sugar and spices.

The last couple of times I did some work on the grill I used a rub. Nothing written down though I just opened the cupboard door and started pulling the spices out. The second one I did write down and I liked it a lot.

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
2 tsp Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1/2 tsp Cardimon
1 tsp Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Mustard powder
Salt and Pepper to taste

I also used a tablespoon of a commercial BBQ powder. Good luck!

here is my rib rub recipe that I make...

1/2 Cup Spanish Paprika
1/4 Cup Black Pepper
3 Tbsp White Pepper
1/2 Cup Homemade Chili Powder (Anaheim, Cascabel, Pasillo Bajio - equal parts)
2 Tbsp Sea Salt
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp Ground Cayenne

This is the basic rub, then I add heat from a myriad of dehydrated peppers I have...dehydrated orange habs is the standby and I also add a few dorset nagas/bhut jolokias and some chocolate habs...

AlabamaJack said:
...dehydrated orange habs is the standby and I also add a few dorset nagas/bhut jolokias and some chocolate habs...

thanks AJ, but this part I would have to pass on or use only on certain ribs and keep track - the family wouldn't like it this spicy.

I use this rub on almost everything..

kosher salt
brown sugar
dry mustard
chili powder (Gebharts)...I rarely do my own
onion powder
granulated garlic
black pepper
cinnamon
sometimes a hair of allspice and nutmeg

now were talking my language..lol

here we go.....

with all rubs you want to stay away from iodized salt which is in most things like seasoned salt mixtures..go with a sea salt,pickling salt or kosher salt...

Bam's All Purpose BBQ Rub

1/4 cup coarse salt (I recommend Kosher salt or sea salt)
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried rosemary (crushed a bit)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp dry mustard powder
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp hot smoked paprika (not sweet paprika)
2 Tbsp fresh coarsely grated black pepper

all-purpose rub for chicken, fish, pork, beef, or lamb

1/2 cup dark or light brown sugar
3 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons black pepper
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin powder
2 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder -- optional
2 teaspoons lemon pepper -- optional

For a basting sauce or marinade, I add soy sauce, vinegar, and water.
In the top half of a double boiler set over simmering water, combine all the ingredients. Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so, until the sugar begins to melt and the mixture thickens.
Remove from the heat and let the mixture cool to 100F. Pass the mixture through a sifter. Use immediately or store in a cool, dark place for several months.

Rib Rub

1 cup turbinado sugar
2 tablespoons sea salt
1 tablespoon fresh cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/4 cup paprika
1 tsp dried italian seasoning(crushed between fingers to bring out the herbs essential oils)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or 1 tsp chipotle pepper(optional)
1 tablespoon cumin

all these rubs are best mixed the night before you want to use them. they tend to get better overnight..

soon to be produced... Bam's Porkoholic Pork Rub (this is going to be reviewed next week by a former Iron Chef America judge next week.) my fingers are crossed..lol

thanks guys. now i have several different ones to possibly try.

patrick - i have to be more like you, i hate it when i make say a homemade BBQ sauce and it turns out good and then i don't remember all the amounts i used and can't repeat it. gotta learn to write down what i did.

I love rib rubs. All of yours look good. I can't post mine because it is rarely the same. I don't measure. Similar to the others posted here. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

I'm hoping to do a big batch of ribs next week. I do mine differently every time too, but I usually start with a mix of dark brown sugar, turbinado sugar, Kosher salt, different mild/medium pepper powders, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper.

I love cooking ribs one of my favorite meats to smoke. On my ribs I mop the sauce on about 30 minutes before I take them off the smoker and then put them over hot coals on my weber grill mopping more and more sauce on as I go. This makes the rib sauce sticky and gooowy and adds a nice "crust" to the ribs. You have to be careful to turn often or they will stick and burn. I also have a replacement grate that has very thick wires instead of a lot thin ones. It was several years ago and I can't remember the guy that showed me this technique, but he was at one of the big BBQ cook off competitions and had a ton of trophy's. He actually used a propane grill and "crusted" all of his ribs after smoking. I think he won that competition too.

Back