• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ripe but small?

My chocolate habanero has produced 7 pods. This is its first batch. Initially the pods were growing fast while they were green but as time went they slowed down.

About 2 weeks ago they changed colour to brown and seem to have "stopped" growing. I picked 1 to taste and check the heat and they seem "decent" but not quite as hot as im used to with habanero.

Are they as big as they will be or should I leave them on the plant till they are ready to fall off to get maximum size? I see the smallest 1 actually started to lose its taut skin.

Ive also noticed brown dry areas between the blubous parts which I understand to be stress marks meaning its ready to be picked?

Heres the stress marks:

stress.jpg

Theres also some darker marks on the top of the pod:
marks.jpg

That one be a pod that started before March. Always small then. Still hot though.

Edit: For southern hemisphere, going into the fall does the same thing. Anything started between mid fall-early spring will be like that.

Once a pod starts changing color (ripening), it's likely not to grow much more, if at all. Looks like you've got some BER (blossom end rot) going on there, which generally means you aren't giving them enough calcium. What fertilizer are you using? Also, many people focus on the N-P-K ratios and think they have to be high. That's fine when the plant is focusing on growth and foliage, but not for production. High nitrogen can inhibit the uptake of calcium. If you're using a fertilizer with high nitrogen, switch to something with lower nitrogen and high calcium - read the label, because calcium isn't N, P or K. Most fertilizers for tomatoes work. I use CalMag, but you can use anything made for tomatoes and peppers, since they are closely related.

cruzzfish said:
That one be a pod that started before March. Always small then. Still hot though.

Edit: For southern hemisphere, going into the fall does the same thing. Anything started between mid fall-early spring will be like that.
Ahh ok so its a timing thing. I realised its very late but I only got into "growing" late summer here. Have to wait for next year to use my knowledge to test again :)
geeme said:
Once a pod starts changing color (ripening), it's likely not to grow much more, if at all. Looks like you've got some BER (blossom end rot) going on there, which generally means you aren't giving them enough calcium. What fertilizer are you using? Also, many people focus on the N-P-K ratios and think they have to be high. That's fine when the plant is focusing on growth and foliage, but not for production. High nitrogen can inhibit the uptake of calcium. If you're using a fertilizer with high nitrogen, switch to something with lower nitrogen and high calcium - read the label, because calcium isn't N, P or K. Most fertilizers for tomatoes work. I use CalMag, but you can use anything made for tomatoes and peppers, since they are closely related.
The fertilizer is http://www.talborne.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=13 the vita-fruit and flower

I should mention that the ones started in fall are hot. The ones started mid winter are not. The ones started early spring are. I'm bummed because my douglah only made bland ones so far, and I won't be getting hot ones till June.

cruzzfish said:
I should mention that the ones started in fall are hot. The ones started mid winter are not. The ones started early spring are. I'm bummed because my douglah only made bland ones so far, and I won't be getting hot ones till June.
If u simulated summer conditions during winter do you think the heat will still be less? Are plants "smart" enough to know seasons?

Wancieho said:
If u simulated summer conditions during winter do you think the heat will still be less? Are plants "smart" enough to know seasons?
Good question. I'm gonna have to try it this year with artificial lighting and heater. I think they grow all year round in Trinidad, so I'd think they won't know the difference.

looks like classic blossom end rot to me.  calcium deficiency...there are multiple ways you can do it from bonemeal and eggshells (these take quite a while to break down) to kelp based ferts to even tums and rolaids.  I think the "go to" answer from people around here is "CalMag" 

That fertiliser has a good deal of calcium, so likely the problem is the high nitrogen is blocking the calcium uptake. Check your pH level. 

Back