• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Ripening Green Cayennes Off-Plant?

Due to an issue with blossom end rot, I've picked a couple dozen green cayenne chilies from my plants in order to prevent them from succumbing to the rot. Based on my past experience I/m fairly certain that they are full size, however they are all completely green. I know they can turn red at this size since some of the ones with the rot have turned red in my compost pile.

Does anyone have any advice for turning them red off of the plant? I read that putting them in a paper bag with an apple is one way, but I thought I'd check here. I don't want to waste anything, so if there is a high potential that they're going to go bad during any secondary ripening process, I'll just find a way to use them in the green state I guess. Thanks!

I don't know anything about growing peppers. This is my first shot at Cayenne and i have been enjoying eating the green ones. Am I wacko or missing something? I did get two red ones. My plants have lots of peppers
Mike

Peppers ripen well in a brown paper bag in a warm dark place,toss a banana or apple in for quicker ripening.
Bananas and apples put out a gas that speeds up ripening.

Back