• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

flavor Roasted chinense

I experimented this year with using roasted peppers in my pepper sauces.

There seems to be some concern regarding the food safety of roasting peppers in oil and then using that in a vinegar based sauce.

For that reason, I roasted without oil. I cut the peppers in half (mostly to sort out the ones with moldy interiors), and then roasted in a toaster oven at 400 F. This worked well and the peppers took on a roasted color, appearance, and sweet flavor.

I made one sauce with Bahamian goat and Safi Red Scotch bonnet, and a second sauce with jalapeños.

I was disappointed with the chinense sauce. Most of the aromatic character was gone. The sauce was much less pepper forward compared to prior batches using raw pepper. Heat level was also lower.

I was happy with the roasted jalapeno sauce. The jalapeños aren’t aromatic to start with, so nothing is lost in that regard.

This observation may be useful to those complaining about disliking the floral chinense flavor. It can be eliminated by cutting the peppers in half and roasting without oil.

Do you like roasted chinense? Perhaps a blend of roasted and raw chinense would be nice in a sauce? Or keep the chinense raw and blend it with some roasted annuum?

Last edited:
...a blend of roasted and raw chinense...

Great minds, SC. I roasted some Paper Lantern Habanero's on the grill. I plan on mixing fresh PLH's into the sauce during processing. I'll let ya know how it works out.

Pepper - Paper Lantern Habanero IMG_20241015_182801924.jpg

Have you seen these?

Back