• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Robot Mode's First indoor Pepper grow! 2019

First time growing peppers indoors!

Start1.jpg

Was able to germinate some Thai Hot, Cayenne, Purple Jalapeno, and Serrano peppers.  I ordered a bunch of seeds from White Hot Peppers but honestly I think at my own fault I haven't had much success with germination. I have some Isolated Bohemian GOAT, Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion, 7 Pot Bubblegum Chocolate Long, Devil's Tongue White, and some scotch bonnet seeds I am trying to germinate right now.

Germ1.jpg

Below is the Purple Jalapeno at day 4

Purpled4.jpg

PurpleSproutd4.jpg

Day 14 of Purple Jalapeño

Purpled14.jpg

Day 24 (Got a new "1200 Watt" Phlizon LED Light)
Light1.jpg
Setup1.jpg

Prupled24.jpg
Purpled241.jpg

Purpled242.jpg

Here they are all together: (W/ Thai Hot, Serrano, Cayenne)

day24setup.jpg

I am planning on getting a small grow tent in a few weeks and also have a large deck to grow in the spring. I never seen leafs turn an almost black like purple so fast, is this a good trait?

Thank you checking out my first Grow Log post!

Dogmessiah said:
I would be more concerned about heat from that dryer next door than the led. They just do not put off nearly as much heat as the old HPS and MH systems. If you have any ventilation to prevent stagnant air inside the tent then the heat from the light shouldnt bother the peppers. That being said, I think you probably have enough light to accomplish your goals in that space.

If you are worried about heat from the light and turn your AC off in the summer while at work, you can modify the light cycle so that the light isnt on during the hottest part of the day.

I should be able to setup intake and outtake fans as soon as it starts to get warmer. I actually even think I could make an exhaust duct that uses the dryer exhaust route when it isn't being use. That way I have a professional ducting to remove extra heat. And I wholeheartedly agree when the heat picks up I will have to change my light schedule to run at the coolest times in my apartment.

Luckily I am somewhat of a temperature nut and have 5 digital thermometers inside my apartment and 1 remote sensor outside. Managing temperature and humidity is kinda my thing. Still I live on the third floor and heat rises so we will see how I manage!

The roots look just fine in the pic you posted. The plants should
like the 1-gal grow bags. You can grow a large plant in a bag
that size, just takes more attention to watering and feeding.

I like your plan for the grow tent. Sea of green here we come!

Happy New year everybody!

To kick off 2019 I have a fun update on my larger Purple Jalapeno!

Thought it is time to start posting videos as it really does capture a better sense of how to plant looks. I will starting doing more videos with commentary on other peppers when I get a bit more progress!

Well my larger PJ has a bunch of flowers starting to open up as of last night. they are popping fast so I expect to have 30 flowers on this plant in the next few days!

PJflowers1.jpg
PJflower1.jpg

Sorry about the vertical video shot. I promise in the future to be more PC friendly!

I am not sure if I should try to pollinate the flowers manfully or if i should just let the plant do its thing?

Orekoc said:
No, I would pollinate them doggedly. :rofl:

Haha was going for manually but maybe I should do it manfully.

Ghostpepperevolution said:
Very nice pics and vid Robot Mode, those are some pretty flowers for a pepper plant. Not used to seeing some color like that, kudos

Thanks a bunch! I am really happy with this PJ strain. Watch everything turn purple is fun and seems to being growing really strong. Hoping for a glamour shots when the plant is covered in flowers.

CaneDog said:
+1 for doggedly!  CD

Happy New Year RM - and Orekoc!  That PJ is looking fantastic!  Seeing many poppers in your near future.

Yes! then its off to pepper town! :dance:

Gorgeous flowers in your video, Steve! 
They appear to be large in that perspective.

PaulG said:
Gorgeous flowers in your video, Steve! 
They appear to be large in that perspective.

I am very surprised with how big the flowers are as well. Never knew the flowers would be purple as well. Its a very pleasant surprise.

Paul would you just let them do their thing or would you try to pollinate them by hand?

Robot Mode said:

I am very surprised with how big the flowers are as well. Never knew the flowers would be purple as well. Its a very pleasant surprise.

Paul would you just let them do their thing or would you try to pollinate them by hand?
I'm no expert, but I'd say gently shake the bush once
in a while to dislodge the pollen. the anthers are super
close to the pistil, and they self-pollinate easily. Use a
small soft paintbrush, etc if you like doing it. Maybe
just the ones easier to reach, along with some gentle
quaking.

Purple flowers are a nice feature.

Hi Robot Mode. I've been following your pepper grow from the start. loving the updates and now videos. happy to say I'm your first subscriber on your youtube channel! look forward to more updates.
Cheers 
Dan

Ok, I'm all caught up reading your whole glog. Nice PJs and the seed starting working out for you, congrats!
I'm following. I'll be particularly interested to see the F1 Scotch Brains red pheno. Being a hybrid, it should grow strong.

PaulG said:
I'm no expert, but I'd say gently shake the bush once
in a while to dislodge the pollen. the anthers are super
close to the pistil, and they self-pollinate easily. Use a
small soft paintbrush, etc if you like doing it. Maybe
just the ones easier to reach, along with some gentle
quaking.

Purple flowers are a nice feature.

Sounds good! Should be fine just with shaking but ill probably get a light paint brush too.

Dan_B said:
Hi Robot Mode. I've been following your pepper grow from the start. loving the updates and now videos. happy to say I'm your first subscriber on your youtube channel! look forward to more updates.
Cheers 
Dan

Thanks Dan! All the videos I post for this grow will be uploaded on that channel! I am glad you have been tagging along for my glog. Hopefully I will be posting pictures of pods in the not so distant future!

Ghostpepperevolution said:
RMs got his first groupie

All groupies welcome here! :party:

Mr. West said:
Ok, I'm all caught up reading your whole glog. Nice PJs and the seed starting working out for you, congrats!
I'm following. I'll be particularly interested to see the F1 Scotch Brains red pheno. Being a hybrid, it should grow strong.

Thanks for reading and following along so far! Really excited to take the PJs to the next stage and get a look at what the peppers are going to look at. 

As for the F1 Scotch Brains red pheno, I am still hoping I can get the seeds to germinate so fingers crossed! I will try my best for you to get one to sprout!

So I finally have a bunch of c. capsaicin sprouted and I will have to split and thin them out as they grow. I already split the Pink Tiger x Peach Bhut and the 7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow as I think I will grow two of these varieties.

newsproutslabel.jpg

My larger PJ has flowers everywhere and new ones opening up like crazy. I have been shaking the plant daily as well as using a fan on it from time to time because the pollen just goes everywhere. No stopping this plant. (Sorry can't stop with the purple flower pictures)

PJ1_5_19flowerss.jpg
Pollendrop.jpg
cantstop.jpg

I transplanted my Cayenne and Serrano into 1-Gal grow bags today.

Cayennetransplant.jpg
Cayennetransplanttent.jpg

Serranotrans.jpg
Serranotrans2.jpg

Most the my capsicum annuum are forming buds now and am sure by the next update I will have some new color (probably regular white ha) flowers to share. Below is the shot of the new arrangement.
Newa1.5.19.jpg

Also I wanted to jazz my video update up a bit :rofl:  Growing intents calls for intense videos![media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbSQBmZQo_0&feature=youtu.be[/media]

Thanks for checking out the progress everyone!

MarcV said:
That PJ is a real beauty! Is it already setting fruit?

It sure is and I know this because I spend way to much time just staring at it now there are flowers.

And YES! I have a few flowers that are already starting to set fruit and the one in that video is probably the most progressed pepper so far. Moving along really quickly now. :party:

Awesome progress, and definitely a beautiful PJ plant. I look forward to seeing more from you as the season comes.
Besides both of us going to grow the PT x PB thin pheno, I have a few of the same strains from WHP that you have - I'm interested to see how they turn out.

MakeIt20 said:
Awesome progress, and definitely a beautiful PJ plant. I look forward to seeing more from you as the season comes.
Besides both of us going to grow the PT x PB thin pheno, I have a few of the same strains from WHP that you have - I'm interested to see how they turn out.

It will be cool to see the comparison between my Thin pheno and regular. Excited we are growing the same strains, I'll have to checkout your progress as well!

Back