• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Rock dust

Another fascinating area of science in soil biology. If you have never heard of it and are an organic grower I highly recommended you research it.

Proud Marine Dad said:
Another fascinating area of science in soil biology. If you have never heard of it and are an organic grower I highly recommended you research it.

That is a very broad topic to search, I just googled it. Is there something more specific relating to rock dust you were angling towards?  Thanks

I spread my first application of azomite, rock phosphate, and  greensand on most of my raised beds last week. I need to get more on top of my soil testing instead of just "some of this and some of that" approach. 
My motto is "Feed your garden and it will feed you. Starve your garden and it will starve you."
But, I just need to develop a reasoned and  doable long term plan.  
I'm just learnin'.

Robisburning said:
That is a very broad topic to search, I just googled it. Is there something more specific relating to rock dust you were angling towards?  Thanks
Check this site out my friend. I am talking about the ability of rock dust to act as a place of colonization for bacteria. http://remineralize.org
tylerdodd25_92 said:
This is where I get all my nutrients from https://www.kelp4less.com/shop/glacial-rock-dust/ and they have it if anyone is interested in it.
That's a good one. This place claims to have the best Basalt rock dust out there with the Brix Blend Basalt they sell.
http://www.rockdustlocal.com/store.html
Azomite will work but it's not the same as basalt, granite, and glacial rock dusts.
filmost said:
What kind of rock dust do you use?
I have yet to use it but I am going to this year and I am waiting on a price from a nursery supply place near me on their green glacial rock dust. I may buy the Brix Blend Basalt if this one is too pricey.

JJJessee said:
I spread my first application of azomite, rock phosphate, and  greensand on most of my raised beds last week. I need to get more on top of my soil testing instead of just "some of this and some of that" approach. 
My motto is "Feed your garden and it will feed you. Starve your garden and it will starve you."
But, I just need to develop a reasoned and  doable long term plan.  
I'm just learnin'.

You read my mind.  This is why I'm encouraging Pepper-Guru to write up the "living soil" tutorial he talked about doing last year.  I think he'll do it; we just need to keep reminding him.

Check out windchicken's glog.  He uses what I think is the most simple system (below) for amending his soil that there is.  I would do it myself, but I can't source the RCW.

The tip of the iceberg: http://www.healthy-vegetable-gardening.com/support-files/rcw-the-clue-to-a-sustainable-fertile-soil.pdf

Good read, RogueJim.

I need to be more aggressive in utilizing Ramial Chipped Wood as I live in an area that has a good bit of tree trimming (Popular,oak, pine) done on right-of-ways.
Getting it delivered to my garden area is ideal but I just haven't went out and made the contacts to make it happen as much as I'd like.

I read up on rock dust awhile back. Ultimately shelved the idea b/c it didn't seem like a wise investment for someone starting out. People appear to be on the fence about it. Some people say it is really only useful as a long term re-mineralizing product and that in generally you would not need it. Others hawk it as a miracle product and use it with every preparation.

If you have used it, what are you thoughts? What convinced you to invest in it?

filmost said:
I read up on rock dust awhile back. Ultimately shelved the idea b/c it didn't seem like a wise investment for someone starting out. People appear to be on the fence about it. Some people say it is really only useful as a long term re-mineralizing product and that in generally you would not need it. Others hawk it as a miracle product and use it with every preparation.

If you have used it, what are you thoughts? What convinced you to invest in it?

My last two garden plots were using dead "contractor soil". Another reason i kept going with it was price, i saw that a modest amount of Azomite can be stretched a long way. I mix some in the seedling potting soil, then later on i mix another spoon into each deep planting hole, along with a few other ingredients (manure, original soil, mulch fines, myco's etc etc). This might be the last season that i prep the planting hole since my whole plot would have been "treated" by this year.

Very interesting. I live on top of Granite Boulders and am suronded by Decomposed Granite and Granite Dust. Never thought it was good for anything as very little but cactus will grow directly in it. I will have to add some to my potting soil mix to experiment with this year. 

Back