• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Rocopica

A rather small pod, but it actually packed a hell of a punch. :) At 1-2 seeds per pod, seeds aren't too plentiful. lol.

It's a cross between C. Pubescens and C. Cardenasii - wild strain.

Chris

P1080358.jpg

Hi Chris,

Remember our discussion about the Rocopicas@ Pepperfriends Italy? The eximium complex versus the denomination c. cardenasii (as a distinct and narrow endemic of the La Paz region in Bolivia)? As for me I haven't found any more evidence about what would be more likely or correct. Still most growers of Rocopicas claim that what they have is actually a cardensii x pubescens strain.

Did you ever come across a Rocopica that was said to be a (perhaps labeled) c. eximium x c.pubescens since? Just because c. eximium is much more widely spread in South America (compared to c. cardenasii) and some Rocopicas that originate from c. eximium should actually be around there. Well, that is what I still believe- until proven false. ;)

And what about new crosses, between Rocopicas and larger C. Pubescens (in fact Rocopicas x Rocotos)? I always thought that this strain (crossing) would be a way to go. Have you tried or heard about any growers or breeders that were exploring this direction?

And last but not least, are the Rocopicas as easy to grow and as resistant as some sources say? I am asking this also because I have had much dificulties in growing Rocotos in the tropics, (probably too hot for them) and I am wondering if Rocopicas X Rocotos would be worth a try.

Cheers,

Luca.

Nope Pepper not hard at all,Lot of chilifreaks in Europe have grown it for a few years now and widely distrubuted throughout ;)

Luca,

Glad to see you here! I've been wondering for a while how you have been. :)

Yes, I recall our messages. I don't doubt there are Eximium x Pubescens crosses. i thought John F did one a while back and crossed it with a larger Pubescens. The pods on his plant were much larger than the ones I'm picturing, but nothing like the size of a regular Pubescens.

I find the Rocopica very easy to grow. As Talas said, they have been grown for a long time by many pepperheads. They seem very vigorous and the plants shoot upwards. Pretty plant.

Trying to cross this one with a large Rocoto may be interesting.

PM me and let me know how you're doing, OK? How's your hydroponics adventure going?

Cayennelover, sorry, they are a little short of habanero or naga heat. :) They had a sharper bite than I expected though. More tepin-like.

Chris

Back