• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Rocoto (Capsicum pubescens) Growing horizontally

One of the peppers I am growing is a Rocoto (Capsicum pubescens). It has had a lot of weird growth patterns since sprouting. It has now been in in the ground for a little more than 2 weeks. It has a number of pretty purple flowers, but is VERY low to the ground. It keeps growing horizontally! Is this normal for the species?

Take a look:

cpub2.jpg

cpub1.jpg

Very odd. I have a White Bullet Habanero that seems to be doing the same thing. BTW, what's the golden liquid in the bowls in the pic?

The Liquid is Beer. The slugs crawl in to the traps and DIE!, instead of eating the lower leaves. In addition, I am spreading crushed egg shells on the surrounding soil. The theory is that the slugs will get cut up and DIE if they walk on the shells. I have not seen any evidence of that, but have seen a few dead ones in the beer traps.

i meant to add the quotes to "pepper vines". my mistake. sorry.

basically, that's the translation of what they were called in puerto rico.

I agree with HawaiiAI and DarkTrak, get the plant some support.
As long as she produces OK then the growth pattern is not a serius problem.

Anyway, maybe plan on getting another Rocoto, a "normal" one, just to be safe :)

I planted them on 05/28. The pictures were taken on 06/12. Thanks for the support advice. I don't mind the shape, but may use supports, if it starts taking up too much ground space. The experience with this plant has been interesting. In an earlier one of my posts, I had doubted that this was even a pepper as I bought seeds on Ebay, labeled , "Chile de negro." I don't care about the mislabeling, as this is too much fun to get upset over.

I'll post pics of the peppers and describe the taste. I hope I get a good crop, as my Zone barely has a long enough growing season for this.

Back