• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting rocoto/manzano harvest time in Australia

Aussie said:
Thanks guys! 

Through winter I don't feed them at all - growth is very slow here at that time. When they start to take off in spring, I feed them every watering with a N-rich soluble fert. This is when they need it. Once they have enough pods set then I drop back to once per week and switch to a fert with less N and more P. Put simply, once they start taking off, I feed my rocotos as I would feed a tomato plant in a container. 

I guess that my plants have a lot of leaves (and big leaves) because they are responding to the part-shade and the N-rich ferts early on. Some might see this as a waste but I don't mind pruning and it works for me this way. As you can see, in addition to the foliage, the plants also produce lots of pods. 

Hope this helps.
I'm growing in pots (my first year) and I seem to get the soil mix all wrong. Could you post what soil you have in your pots?

The plants look amazing and that's a great pic of the chillies you harvested - I'm very envious I must say!

Very impressed with your growth with the rocotos, especially since they are in pots.

I grew a rocoto in my backyard in the ground in Melbourne for 5 years plus.  I had to prune it every year to keep it under control.  So many chillies.

Bags and bags of good looking fruit there. I have to this day never tasted any pubescens at all, but I think that may change soon. I have 4 growing at the moment and 3 of them have set fruit. Being in brisbane I guess the climate is not ideal. But after I moved them in underneath some shady trees they really started to boom. Very impressive crop you have there.

Rainman said:
I'm growing in pots (my first year) and I seem to get the soil mix all wrong. Could you post what soil you have in your pots?

The plants look amazing and that's a great pic of the chillies you harvested - I'm very envious I must say!
Thanks, and yes, happy to share. I use the same potting mix for all my peppers comprising one expanded coco coir brick (9 litres when expanded) well mixed with one 30 litre bag of premium potting mix. The potting mix is from willow park nurseries in canberra but I don't think that there is anything special about this brand, apart from it being good quality and not heavy. This mixture is a modified version of one described by Neil from hippy seed co, but he uses cheap potting mix and adds ferts, maybe blood and bone (can't remember exactly, got this a while ago from his Facebook page). I tried last season with a cheaper potting mix and found that it didn't work so well, hence the premium potting mix, which contains some slow release ferts, so doesn't need blood n bone.

Aussie said:
We are having a great season for rocoto/manzano peppers this year. It is mid-summer and we have been enjoying fresh ripe rocoto/manzano peppers almost constantly since mid-winter but we're now starting to get overwhelmed! I usually leave the pods on the plant until we need them but a recent heat wave is leading to over-ripening on the plant, hence this harvest. The freezer is full of processed and unprocessed pods. Looks like time to start drying! This haul represents a small fraction of what we will get this year, if things continue to go well. Each container in the pic holds pods from a different plant - some are later ripening than others. 

Hi there i know it's more than a year later........but I was wondering if i could buy some seeds from u 
My local suppliers doesn't stock them and I could not find one overseas who ship to south africa

Hey Aussie, awesome harvest there, and great to see a fellow Canberran.  My chillies are in their first year, jalapeños went gangbusters, but only just starting to harvest thai reds, birds eye, orange hab and cayennes in the last week.  Still waiting for my first ghost to ripen (pic).  Going to move the hab and bhut indoors for winter, do yours go inside over winter or are they protected enough there to stay outside?  

Cheers

Bumper

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/Bumper200/media/IMG_0563_zpscp5frdw8.jpg.html

Beautiful plants Aussie! I'll have to check out your weather plat to see what your climate is like. I have a 3-year Manzano and just started some other Pube varieties, so your input is just what I needed to see. Thanks for sharing!

Back