• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Rocoto relleno: de la semilla a la mesa

I recently received a most generous gift of seeds from our friend CaneDog.  Thanks CaneDog!  Included were some Rocoto Arequipa Giant Red seeds which I now have in my little germinator.  I mean to grow some nice large pods and cook up some Rocoto relleno; this glog will document the process, the ups and downs, and will end with my ultimate success or failure in the attempt.  This photo is my inspiration at the start.  It looks absolutely delicious and I hope to produce something similar in the end.  I will be looking for and mulling over ideas for recipes for the stuffed peppers themselves, accompaniments, and general information on Peruvian cooking and cuisine along the way.

Peruvian-rocoto-relleno.jpg

The plan is to provide the plant a swing in temperatures between day and night as I am able by moving it inside and outside - I'd bring it in for cool air-conditioned nights in the summer and take it outside to spend the night in the chillier months.  I've had good results overall with Kratky and can't remember having seen any Kratky pubes, so I'll be going with a jar for this.  I picked up this 135oz pickling jar a couple days ago.  Next steps will be removing the wire, painting the jar black, and 3D printing an adapter collar to fit the net cup to the jar.

20191229-111229.jpg

Here's the model of the jar collar.  I'll have the printed object soon.  I can have these made iteratively as necessary to dial in the fit, but I have high hopes for the first one.

JAR-COLLAR-BERMIOLI-1.jpg

Any and all comments or criticisms are very welcome and I thank you all most warmly for having me and schooling me and reading my noodlings!

CaneDog said:
And hey, I stumbled across a few pictures of your last year's grow today while searching for an unrelated post.  You really had some great looking plants going on the deck.  I'm counting on more of that eye candy again this season!

Thanks!  Will see if I can't accommodate you.  ;)

drake.jpg

That plant is all forked up.

Looks good. Are you going to let it grow natural or
prune it back a bit as it grows out. I'm waffling on
my rocotos in that sense. Just can't seem to pull
the trigger.

PaulG said:
That plant is all forked up.

Looks good. Are you going to let it grow natural or
prune it back a bit as it grows out. I'm waffling on
my rocotos in that sense. Just can't seem to pull
the trigger.  Hadn't thought about it..  Unless it gets to be a problem trying to support it or move it in and outside I'll probably let it do what it will.

CaneDog said:
Looking good E!

Thanks, guys! 

Hmm, I don't think the collar was a half-baked idea. It does look good on those containers.

But I agree with your new solution if you want to maximize the amount of nutrient that you can put in those containers. I'm still impressed at how you managed to keep the other plant alive by filling its container 3 times a day IIRC :P. Those net cups look like a great solution to that.

+1 about the collar looking cool - and the new idea!

What's your distance from the HLG to the plant top E?  It does look a little wonky, though not really unhealthy/unhappy.  And it's budding, which is great to see. Hopefully some fruit set in the not-too-distant. Light and nutes are what occur to me re the wonkiness, as I find my rocotos generally like a somewhat less intense light and gentler nutes than others.  My OW's seem to love the HLG100, though, and show foliage typical of outdoor growth.  They're in soil and also in a cooler part of the house that gets a reasonable day/night swing.  Anyhow, just thinking.  Seems to be coming along well!

I agree about the rocotos preference for less
intense light.  I keep my T5HO lamps about 18"
above the top of the plants. I'm thinking it's
about time to put them into the greenhouse
for the more natural light and the larger temp
swings.

The forks always tend to grow sideways under
the lights, but after they go outside, the new
branches grow more vertically.

Back