• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Rocoto tips browning/wilting

justecila said:
Anyone come across this problem: the tips of my rocoto plants turning brown, wilting and dying off!  This is a 3 year old plant and my location is in Australia.  We are just coming on to spring and this overwintered Rocoto shown all signs of health and new leaves and shoots but suddenly I notice new leaves browning/wilting.  So far it is only happening on the tips of new shoots
Did the problem begin after the spike in temperature in Sydney? The temperature spike to about 30 °C last Tuesday may have damaged the new growth on your plant.

I had a similar problem affect a Sukanya Rocoto plant when the temperature spiked by about 7 °C. The initial damage was to the new leaves of a sprawling low branch. I skipped the weekly feeding of that plant for two consecutive weeks just in case.

Last weekend I moved other unaffected potted Rocoto plants when the temperature peaked. I also delayed or skipped fertilising the Rocoto plants before and during the temperature blip.

hogleg said:
I can't see the picture?
You are right;  I cant find it either.  Have some difficulties posting pic thru image.  Will try again here:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Z2wy1iiiP3YnfpbznsH0akA4kuu5WR9vzVJL6X_omGapqc4_YmIM-dZU9RpLs6mcBRgB9MbP3Y3OJHcooTcoxJFi1pK9P0whmBB47Zw8gNMPTTXGOIBrIFL4bDWJ0pZKA7gN87zIkzrdNFTrSMsPyrUCsebwYpshxyoyDvKFcb-bv-lWu8wdewQCQsdXlEJtkp5yqSwQbDIFLAwd0rhqXrweo4CLMbYc3bmueIz6UYgMi0KhauLLppvZAhxsP2lKV0zlthbZ9ZDGb4ZO5UM02u9lRwgwCbnwerMr6keDg9_XingTeV750biQxG7Di-EHwmjKNVQbqMx7UyR_bMzvR5comiGM_k9j4vDAuxw5rE3lGmz5NudNJxPhYdBG3xko5pUdd4hZLORPNDOIZkqY2roiBOrdDT_MztUfREflFcxfgKAfeDjniJV70FBk-nSEL8bWKtDX6ukMlJwGtZ0dENHPmWVVw45S9p6C2sd83KfJIu8cVW2DZopIQpzt9ua4xSwd4yMnDhUcA5zE6zev94wOXZIjwnetm4ekkZf-a4FQ=w543-h963-no
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipODYe1MSc7QkThhU2g0DvbXMCyOqzr9yJU40u0g

Hope this works

harry said:
Did the problem begin after the spike in temperature in Sydney? The temperature spike to about 30 °C last Tuesday may have damaged the new growth on your plant.

I had a similar problem affect a Sukanya Rocoto plant when the temperature spiked by about 7 °C. The initial damage was to the new leaves of a sprawling low branch. I skipped the weekly feeding of that plant for two consecutive weeks just in case.

Last weekend I moved other unaffected potted Rocoto plants when the temperature peaked. I also delayed or skipped fertilising the Rocoto plants before and during the temperature blip.
I am located in Sydney and although we have a spike of warm days but not in the 30s.  Am not quite sure if this affected it but will keep a note on this parameter from now

I can't see your picture, but the only time I've had browning and wilting on my rocoto, is when I have used too many ferts.  My rocoto only seem to like a very light monthly dose of all around organic ferts.  Anything more, and my plants sag for a good 5 days trying to recover.  I do of course live in a different hemisphere, with very different weather conditions.

Back