• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Rocotos and Ripening

I think my child has learned how to walk from birth since this plant showed its first pods.

It's been cold here (for here), but seriously. How long do rocoto pods take to ripen. This is killing me. I'm waiting on it and one red habanero to turn before I shave everything down to overwinter or trash.

How do you guys have the patience for this. I've been milking this plant all year. It owes me a yield, dammit!

They'll probably ripen faster if you just leave them inside by a window. The cold really slows them down. Nice plants to over winter, go very light on the water though.

They'll probably ripen faster if you just leave them inside by a window. The cold really slows them down. Nice plants to over winter, go very light on the water though.

Interesting. Thank you. It's been in the high 70s/low 80s this week till today. And I'm *just* starting to get red tinge on the first fruit. It'll hit the 70s again next week, so I'll leave it out till then and see if I can't get some ripe fruit before New Years. I'd bring it in, but my cat will systematically disassemble the entire plant and then strategically redeposit it around the house for me.

If I can get just one ripe pod (there are only five on the plant), then I'll be happy. At least I'll get a taste. Then I'll prune it back and put it back out in 9-10 weeks for the start of spring. Hopefully year two will give me a pod or two prior to the hell days of summer.

Rocotos, ripening? To be completely honest, here, my Rocoto Red went from little pepper to ripened-red in relatively little time. It was waiting for fall to come for a flower to successfully pollinate and begin some actual peppers growing that took forever.

My plant refused to do almost anything here in Ohio last spring and summer, creating two duds (rotting) of peppers; the rest of the flowers just dropped. Once the weather cooled down though, the flowers successfully produced peppers, which have been doing great and ripening faster than my C. annuums and even some of my C. chinenses I had last year. There are a couple more on my plant right now and not many more to ripen after.

While the C. pubescens gave me the least short-term confidence, it appears that it may just provide the most long-term promise... it's not even being attacted very heavily by aphids yet. (I haven't checked it in a couple days though; hopefully I didn't just jinx myself...)

Okay. Potential dumb question. Reds go from green->orange->red, or just green->red. If the latter, then I've got orange ones and not reds. Which would be cool, because one stuffed in a bag is now orange.

Okay. Potential dumb question. Reds go from green->orange->red, or just green->red. If the latter, then I've got orange ones and not reds. Which would be cool, because one stuffed in a bag is now orange.
Rocoto Red goes straight from green to red. They turn a deep, undeniable red when fully ripe, but some might seem to have an almost-orangish hue to them at first. But I would still consider it red.

Rocoto Red goes straight from green to red. They turn a deep, undeniable red when fully ripe, but some might seem to have an almost-orangish hue to them at first. But I would still consider it red.

Thanks, UZ. I figured. My 'red' rocotos were orange. :)

Still really yummy, though! I'll have another one ripe by Sunday night. Can't wait.

Back