• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

ROCOTOZILLA

I got some of that snow, as well. The week before, I had covered my pepper patch with an improvised hoop house.
It did great, and kept the plants going until this past Sunday. We had a hard freeze and it took everything out.
It was sauce making time, anyhow.

I am wondering if I should cut my Rocotos back in the greenhouse or let them go. They look pretty happy right now.

you know joe,

you may eat of them pubes when green

another thing there is a chance of the plant dropping all leaves and still living on

please try to trim/ cut the plant down to about a foot tall then pile about 2 foot of leaves on to the plant and look for it to grow after the snow melts in spring {i dunno like in march?}

(you got some leaves laying around don't you?)i figure worst case you will have a nice pile of mulched leaves and a dead stem

but, who knows?

good growing

you know joe,

you may eat of them pubes when green

another thing there is a chance of the plant dropping all leaves and still living on

please try to trim/ cut the plant down to about a foot tall then pile about 2 foot of leaves on to the plant and look for it to grow after the snow melts in spring {i dunno like in march?}

(you got some leaves laying around don't you?)i figure worst case you will have a nice pile of mulched leaves and a dead stem

but, who knows?

good growing

do you think it will service the entire winter if i cover it with a bucket after i trim it?/

let me known

thanks your friend Joe

don't know if it will work but we are up in Zone 3---you know the BLACK color in the zone chart of US. But my Mom and a Buddy up here cover their roses with a chicken wired load of leaves and that seems to work most of the time.

The leaves and the snow insulate the roots from -30 air temps and the region around the roots will not freeze because the underground temps are like 54 up here. The larger are of leaves the better chance that the roots wont be killed by ground frost.

It wont take much time to pile up some leaves onto your plants anyway----and then you can try them again next year if you are lucky.

Balac

don't know if it will work but we are up in Zone 3---you know the BLACK color in the zone chart of US. But my Mom and a Buddy up here cover their roses with a chicken wired load of leaves and that seems to work most of the time.

The leaves and the snow insulate the roots from -30 air temps and the region around the roots will not freeze because the underground temps are like 54 up here. The larger are of leaves the better chance that the roots wont be killed by ground frost.

It wont take much time to pile up some leaves onto your plants anyway----and then you can try them again next year if you are lucky.

Balac
I LOST IT AND HAD TO PULL IT OUT FOR SOME REASON IT DIED??
SORRY THANKS YOUR FRIEND jOE

I'm growing all my plants, including 3 rocotos, in pots. Throughout much of the season, I had TONS of flowers, but no pods. Then, very late in the season, I started getting pods. Only thing is now it's getting too cold for them to ripen, it seems - some are quite large and just hanging green on the plants. One I removed all the pods and leaves and brought it indoors (dried the pods.) The other two are still outside, but I keep them in the doorway to the garage (and keep the doorway open during the day for light), so they don't get frost or snow on them. I'm torn between bringing them inside where it's warmer (but less light) and leaving them outside for the light. They've handled down to the upper 20's (F) so far, but only one night. The one I brought inside didn't like that at all, but the two outside were okay.

My struggle about whether to bring them in includes the above, plus I want to repot and de-leaf before bringing them in, to help get rid of any nasties. But, I could bring them in and put them in a room away from the other plants. May just be ladybug invasion time again....

im going to try two other pubescen species next year

one from Equator and the other im not too sure about

thanks your friend joe

Back