• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Rookie needs help with chile names

[I hope I'm posting in the correct category]

I want to buy some mild powdered chiles. My local chain grocery has these choices, El Guapo brand:
  • Chile De Arbol Molido
  • Chile Pasilla Molido
  • Chile California Molido
Is any of them mild?

Thanks for any help!

Hey Sim, congrats on your first post and this is a great site for questions like this. If I remember correctly the chile de arbol would be the spiciest but not as hot as say cayenne pepper. Those are some good choices to start with. If you want something hotter there are some great guys on here that could hook you up. What are you trying to make with the chile powder?

Buenos Tardes!

I don't know what you consider hot and what you consider mild. But for non-chili heads, Chile De Arbol is considered hot. It is related to the Cayenne, I believe. Chile California I personally feel is a mild chili, and it is an Anaheim type chili.

But for the Chile Pasilla, I need to point out that there are two versions. In most of Mexico, the Pasilla is a dried Chilaca. It is mild and used for moles (MO-lays). But in Sonora and Tucson, the locals call the dried Poblano "Pasilla," even though in most other areas a dried Poblano is an Ancho. Either one of the two are very mild.

I hope this helps.

By the way, what are you making? Are you planning to cook a Mexican dish? Mexican food happens to be one of my favorite food groups.

Mild and Heating Up -

Muchas gracias for the (quick!) replies!

I am planning to make Chili Con Carne from the Feast Of Santa Fe for the first time.

I don't have a directly link to the recipe, but the book is here http://preview.tinyurl.com/bfd2sew and the recipe is on pg 257-258. I am just getting started cooking Southwestern dishes over the past few weeks. Perhaps you could consider this chili recipe to be Mexican (vs New Mexican), I'm not sure.

I realize that 'mild' varies from person to person, but my sense of Mild is like Las Palmas canned green chiles, which I assume are Anaheims. A jalapeno would be waaaay to hot for me. And, my wife likes food even milder than I do.

My aim is to make chili con carne approximately as spicy as it would be served in a chain restaurant.

So, it sounds like Chile California is the one for me.

Thanks for the advice, folks. This seems like an awesome forum.

I do powders, feel free to drop by my site @ www.heatmadesimple.com

Not all Jalapenos are HOT, I grew 4 types and only 1 was hot. There are also a few powder reviews on my site currently for product I sell.

Welcome to THP!

A new master of Mexican cooking eh? Pleased to meet ya SSP. If a jalapeno is too hot for you I would suggest practice. Start with the mildly mild ones and slowly work your way up. In no time you'll be munching on Habanero's right out of the garden and chasing them with jalapeno's.

Like a few folks have eluded to the heat in peppers varies among the same type. You will want to sample the powder you end up choosing before adding it to the dish. Remember they aren't magic powders that will turn a mild dish into a raging ball of fire so don't be afraid of them. Start with a little and mix well then taste. You'll find the spot you like.

Best of luck to you and I hope you realize we'll need to see pictures of the finished dish.

Mild and Heating Up -

I realize that 'mild' varies from person to person, but my sense of Mild is like Las Palmas canned green chiles, which I assume are Anaheims. A jalapeno would be waaaay to hot for me. And, my wife likes food even milder than I do.

DEFINITELY STAY AWAY FROM THE CHILE DE ARBOL!!!

If you feel that the Jalapeno is too hot, you'll think the Chile De Arbol is nuclear (which it isn't even close by our standards).

When you mention chili like you find in a chain restaurant, keep in mind that you are talking about the Pacific Northwest. I grew up in Eugene, so I understand where you are coming from. If you ever came to Tucson and ordered something with a red or green chili sauce, I think you'd call it "fiery hot." I just LOVE the Chile Colorado dish down in Mexico, made with Guajillo peppers. In my personal opinion, you can't beat the wonderfully sweet, complex flavor of the Guajillo!...Well, you can with a couple of rare heirlooms, but that's a different story. However, I think you would find the Guajillo to be a bit hot for your taste, and definitely so with your wife! But, I you can find some dried Guajillos in your area (check out your Hispanic grocery stores), you really ought to try them.

I'm going to give you a simple Chile Colorado recipe. I stole...I'm sorry, borrowed this recipe from a Sonoran (Hermosillo) website. I use this recipe so much, because I just LOVE Chile Colorado! (You can use this recipe with any chili):

(translated from Spanish by Google Translate, so don't give me guff about poor English please!)
http://www.elsabordesonora.com/chilecolorado.pdf (includes recipe using powdered chili)
Dried red chiles 20
¼ head of white onion (medium)
5 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tsp. oregano
3 tbsp. wheat flour
4 cups water or broth
salt to taste
PREPARATION:
Peppers are cleaned by removing the stem and the excess
seeds, washed and placed in a pan sling.
Add water and salt to cover the peppers
and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes
counted from beginning to boil.
Then, peppers were drained and placed in a
blender, add 2 cups water (or broth
in which meat is used), garlic, onion, and oregano
Blend until well ground. (Photo 3)
Using a fine mesh strainer and a spoon
the strained chile until a fine puree,
removing skins and seeds. (Photos 4 and 5)
* Place in a saucepan and boil for 5 minutes,
stirring with a spoon every time.
* Espesadura .- Some recipes call for mashed
be more consistent and it is customary to
process of "thickening" the prepared flour
as follows:
Separately in a clean, dry skillet put 3
teaspoons of flour and stir over medium heat
constantly until it turns golden. leave
cool. The flour is mixed cold toast with two
cups water or broth.
In a saucepan, pour this mixture, add the puree
of chile and salt to taste. Boil for 5 minutes
Spoon stirring every minute.
This preparation is used in many recipes
typical Sonoran regions mainly
north and the mountains.
The puree (before adding espesadura) can be preserved
preferably in a glass container
the refrigerator.
It can also be packaged with the typical procedure
"conservative", which allows you to store without refrigeration.

I forgot to include an important point with the Chile Colorado recipe. The recipe is for a kilogram of cooked beef (I pan fry small chunks to a nice dark brown crisp before adding it to the Chile Colorado recipe).

A new master of Mexican cooking eh? Pleased to meet ya SSP. If a jalapeno is too hot for you I would suggest practice. Start with the mildly mild ones and slowly work your way up. In no time you'll be munching on Habanero's right out of the garden and chasing them with jalapeno's.

Like a few folks have eluded to the heat in peppers varies among the same type. You will want to sample the powder you end up choosing before adding it to the dish. Remember they aren't magic powders that will turn a mild dish into a raging ball of fire so don't be afraid of them. Start with a little and mix well then taste. You'll find the spot you like.

Best of luck to you and I hope you realize we'll need to see pictures of the finished dish.

Patrick -

'master', bwahahaha! I merely aspire to have my dishes resemble what's intended by the recipe. I know very little about Southwestern or Mexican cooking, although I'm learning at a rapid rate.

Thanks for your kind wishes! If I can figure out to post a photo of my dish, I'll do so. I'll probably make this dish sometime in the next week.

Mild, thank you for the Chile Colorado recipe and the warning about Chile de Arbol.

I'll given the Chile Colorado recipe a try.

I forgot to include an important point with the Chile Colorado recipe. The recipe is for a kilogram of cooked beef (I pan fry small chunks to a nice dark brown crisp before adding it to the Chile Colorado recipe).

I was wondering about meat. Thanks for clarifying

i could suggest the California chile .. also know ans n.m chile or Anaheim anyway try green chile chicken and cheese enchiladas.. it very easy to make and will get you running with the big dogs.. all you use is green chiles , tortillas. cooked chicken shredded, cheese also shredded, a lg can of green chile sauce.. spices if you want it hotter or more garlic..etc.. all you do is fill the tortilas with the fillings.. put them in baking pan, cover with the sauce cover the top with a little more cheese.. bake for 20 min until the cheese is melted and everything's hot.. your good to go.. i usually make extra for lunches etc.. 2 is more than enough if your really hungry.. and they freeze well and 2 min in the microwave.. your good to go.

DEFINITELY STAY AWAY FROM THE CHILE DE ARBOL!!!

If you feel that the Jalapeno is too hot, you'll think the Chile De Arbol is nuclear (which it isn't even close by our standards).

When you mention chili like you find in a chain restaurant, keep in mind that you are talking about the Pacific Northwest. I grew up in Eugene, so I understand where you are coming from. If you ever came to Tucson and ordered something with a red or green chili sauce, I think you'd call it "fiery hot." I just LOVE the Chile Colorado dish down in Mexico, made with Guajillo peppers. In my personal opinion, you can't beat the wonderfully sweet, complex flavor of the Guajillo!...Well, you can with a couple of rare heirlooms, but that's a different story. However, I think you would find the Guajillo to be a bit hot for your taste, and definitely so with your wife! But, I you can find some dried Guajillos in your area (check out your Hispanic grocery stores), you really ought to try them.

Grew up an hour south of you. Small world!

Back