• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Rookie Superhot SoCal Glog Updated: 5/11/15 (1st page Growlist)

Good day, this is my first post here but I've been lurking for a couple days to get the feel for what I can tell is a forum filled with nice people.

Having seen Kevin's late start Glog, it kind of empowered me to do the same.

I live in Bakersfield California, which is a desert ecosystem made arable by being situated in a valley and lots of manpower. There's a lot of agriculture here, and it's pretty well known here that we have an especially long growing season, with pepper fruiting temperatures even into December.

I think I have a chance to get some pods, at the least, well established plants for next spring.

I'm experimenting with grow tech, first storebought tech: I'm growing in Topsy Turvy tomato trees, several of them, they were on crazy clearance and they're constructed of steel. I plan on crafting my own bags using fabric pots to hang on the frame after these plants are gone or the bags rip.

I don't know the logistics of entangled roots in the end of my first plant cycle, but I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens :)

My plan is to go to by the wisdom of a great many people who say that if you want a big plant in a small pot, feeeeeeeeeed itttt. So I have a Dripline irrigation setup using soaker hoses, and my plan is to gravity drip teas and ferts to my plants on a consistent basis without overwatering.

Soil is all organic, a mix of compost, worm casts, potting soil, and garden soil.

Fertilizer will be AACT when my setup is ready, for now it's FPE; Fermented Plant Extracts and AACT Made the old fashioned way, stirring.
I'll  also be employing Mycorrhizals, I'm using Mykos Xtreme Gardening which utilizes their strain of Glomus intraradices, they're RTI's direct brand, RTI produces most of the Glomus in cultivation, and I wanted to give them a try.

But enough with the Logistics, I'm sure you guys want to hear what plants I'm growing! Well there's quite a list

Updated 10/20 to reflect living plants

Bhut Jolokia
Peach Bhut
White Bhut
Indian Carbon Bhut

Orange Hab
Chocolate Hab
Peach Hab Added 7/21

Antilles Red Caribbean Added 7/21
MoA Jamaican Scotch Bonnets Added 7/5

Jamaican Hot Chocolate Added 6/27

Aji Dulce Added 7/5

Douglah 7 Pot
White 7 Pot
Bubblegum 7 Pot (F4) added 7/5

Butch T Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion Added 7/21

Yellow Fatalii Added 7/5

Satan's Kiss
Red Hot Cherry Added 6/28
Pimiento Added 6/28
Hot Thai Added 6/28
Gypsy Added 6/28
Tabasco Added 6/28
Aleppo Added 7/5
Urfa Biber Added 7/5
Bonda me Jacques Added 7/5
Jaloro Added 7/5 (No sprouts)
Green Bean Added 7/5
Tepin Added 7/21
Pequin Added 7/21

Peppadew Added 7/5
Aji Lemon Drop Added 7/5

Added 8/2, A plethora of varieties from Wicked Mike!

Dong Xuan Viet Market (C. Baccatum)
Venezuelan Tiger (no sprouts)
Trini Mystery
Red and Yellow Steer/Bull Horns
Red Dulcetta
Aji Lemon Drop (why not start more?)
Indian Jwala
Ot Hiem
Pepperoncini
Trinidad Perfume
Golden Marconi

Nonpeppers:
Purple and Green Tomatillos

Added 8/11, Hogleg's trade
Goatweed

seeds from Pepperlover:

Bradleys Bahamian
Pimenta da Neyde
Bishop's Hat/ Orchid (PI 497974)
Brazilian Starfish (PI 439368)

Then some more normal varieties:
Anaheims
Cayenne

And I have a wonderful Ornamental Black Prince (which has some great hot peppers :) )
but it won't be necessarily updated in the grow log.

Wish List:
Burning Bush!

I will post pictures as soon as I have established seedlings, and I'll update when I transplant, flower, etc. I'm just germinating now, doing a nute soak right now and it'll go into the bags after, I have high success this way with anything that's not beans..

I like the Pepper community, I got my seeds from Pepperseedman1971 and he threw in several awesome bonuses including some of his Peach Bhut powder, so good. Can't wait to make my own :)

Thanks guys for reading, have a great day.

I totally agree. I only have room for about 30 plants, but I can even feel the affect of all the planning it takes. So glad to have found this site... I'll be following this hoop house project so make sure you give updates!

Sorry guys, I didn't realize there was an image maximum for Imgur and all the pics I uploaded to put here weren't allowed, so I wanna do that later, I want to sleep now :p

But before I do, let me type a bunch of stuff!

Here's what I'm starting for 2015 atm, I just set to soaking about 180 seeds, 90 different varieties or so.

Chinenses:

Star Of Turkey
Venezuelan Tiger
MoA Scotch Bonnet
Seasoning Pepper
Tobago Seasoning
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Sweet Scorpion
Hot Lantern
Bhut Orange Copenhagen OP
Pink Tiger
OP Cheiro Roxa
Peach Cross F3
Datil
Black, White, Green, Chocolate, and Cream Fataliis
Red, Chocolate, and Green Moruga Scorpions
Orange, Yellow, and Peach Trinidad Scorpion
Peach and Cappucino Naga
Red Devil's Tongue
Peach Bhut SS
Purple and Caramel Bhut
Blondie
Bubblegum 7 pot
Peach Wasp
Peach Congo
Reaper
Yellow Primo
Jonah
Gigantic Chocolate SR
White 7 Pot
Aji Dulce
OP Red Savina
OP Bahamian Goat
Valencia Market Red

Other species:
Aji Pineapple
Aji Cristal
Aji Melocoton
Aji Habanero
Aji Gusanito
Aji Verde
Aji Cito
Aji Chuncho
Bell of Lebanon
Jamy
Omnicolor
Moranevinho
Guarmal
Sweet Green
Shima Togarashi
Jimmy Nardello
Moshi
Billy Biker Jal
Tomato Pepper
Bell of Gollu
Orange Anaheim
Corno Di Toro Giallo
CGN 20812
CGN 22795
CGN 19198
Cap 691
Cobindo
Most Prolific Chacoense
True Cumari
Giant Jal
Dong Xuan Viet Market
Brazillian Starfish
Inca Red Drop
Moko Kokoo
Sangria
Oily Paste
Albanian Red Hots
Pasilla Bajio
Cinammon Bell
Giant Red Stuffed
Bull's Heart
Urfa Biber
Sulu Adana

I can't believe it took me over 2 hours to do it, it's so time consuming! But fun, was nice to go through what I've received and pick what I want to grow :)
Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Thanks man. Putting everything in 3 gallon fabric pots for the most part, hopefully they don't get out of hand :)

Front view of my south facing porch (Post fabric pots)

Hind view, these are all of my pepper plants that aren't in Topsy Turvy trees. Those are elsewhere, doing alright, wishing nights were warmer probably. Pics of those later. (pic is pre fabric pots)

Updates on the hoophouse: Home Depot isn't a nice local company that'll help me out and bring some pipe out for me a mile and a half away, so I'm going to call the Pipe supply store themselves and ask 'em if they can help me out. When I was planning on using Square tubing, they said they'd bring me my order free and I'm a lot farther than a couple miles from them, they're on the other side of town. I'll let you guys know.

I get the film in a couple days, if not tomorrow. I'm eager to get things rolling!

FYI, too eager. Kinda slipping up on calendaring one classes' outside events, I keep missing them for stupid reasons like forgetting, thinking all about my plants, etc. I don't think I'm going overboard on plants, I just think I'm underboard on this class. I like the class, but I just don't think about it outside of class, it's not biology. I find myself thinking about A and P rather often. But a language? Not so much.

I think the only other things I'll be starting soon are some Pubes that I'll be getting in a trade soon (several off my wishlist, yay :) ) and some chinenses I will be getting from an international trade. I'm already tired of seed starting again, ready to start worrying about up potting and space constraints lol.

Ugh, I feel so incredibly stupid, how did I mess up my calculations for necessary plastic film? :(

Looks like I'll be missing the bottom or 2 feet or so from both sides of my hoop, wtf? Incredible sadness. I somehow didn't take into account how wide the bow actually was, curve and all. Face palm. ugh.

Atleast of all the parts, I messed up on the one that gets replaced eventually anyway. I'm gonna use it, it's better than nothing. I'll find some way to ghetto my way through covering the sides.

Jeeze. I love plugs atm, I need to post pics but I have 70+ seedlings in less than 20 days from first soaking seed, many of them putting out true leaves now :) that beats the hell out of my prior methods and I like how the plants have a pretty unshakable base in the plugs, I'm always uprooting seedlings. I think in the future I'll do rockwool for cost effectiveness.

Will actually post pictures soon and probably do an update to this thread in general as I start my 2015 Spring Glog, sorry for delays, I know people wanted to see cool things, but for the most part cool things didn't happen :( Finances didn't come and I'm just making do atm.

I put about 23 of my starts into my tomato trees, filling every hole in 9 tomato trees for a total of 54 plants there, I plan on doing a few more tomato trees too, and then I'll rig my drip feed system back up and things should be pretty tidy, sure I won't get huge harvests, but my plants will be much happier in the tomato trees than in solo cups.

I hope everyone is having a great season, cheers :)

:) For sure, yeah, but they've sat a long while in Solo cups, many of them are flowering, some have a pod. I wish I could say what I had was impressive atm, but I'm happy with it :) I'll post pics after my time in the garden tomorrow, today's proved to be busy.

March, April, May, oh my! It's been a long time, where has the time gone?

You know the saddest part of anything? I HAD NO IDEA IMGUR STOPPED CAPPING AT 225 IMAGES PUBLIC! IN FEBRUARY?!! OMG

I could have been sharing the photos of my garden with you guys this whole bloody time? I was worried, I hated deleting photos from my thread because I needed to add new photos, but now it's unlimited?

Ugh

/Rant

What does this mean for you guys? Well, it should mean that I'm going to keep this more up to date certainly.

My summer break has started and my garden has been growing, I've lost almost all my wilds and pubes though :( The pube wilted overnight, it had a week hold in the soil anyway and I was afraid to repot it, but darn did it get big and promising for a moment.

Most of my markers are defunct, partly willfully, I had grown desperate to get things out of their solo cups and repotted them all into flower bed beside my porch or into containers. Some things died, some flourished, but tbh, from all my memories of poring over your guys' glogs that deaths happen, pubes and wilds are especially touchy in hot and dry climates, and I knew that from the start.

So I'm not disheartened of anything save maybe time, I wish I had been able to do more 2 or 3 months ago but I still didn't have the money or time even though I had the seeds and pots.

I still tried to be a chili guy, I traded seeds for young starts with my local pepperhead at the Farmer's Market, the reason I like these plants at all :) Got me a peter pepper and a jalapeno since mine didn't do so well (I have like 3 or 4 goat's weeds though! I hear they taste great!)

So, let me get some pictures of my garden over the course of the spring up and then I'll snap some pics tomorrow or later and get you guys to the point I'm at and what I'm working with. There's several pods and I'm happy :)

Tiny Aleppo, the plant itself hasn't really been doing well since I took the pod, but this is it, Thanks to King Denniz for the seeds for this one :)

KOZ7fmRl.jpg

-

bfU5OMVl.jpg

Pimentos from Lowes, this plant actually took FOREVER to produce it's first fruits, like 6 months, but after that it's been doing pretty good, already has a couple big pods up on it now.

Wew, just read through the glog. Them Goatsweeds are tuff huh? lol You just need to find the right angle for your pubes. Dont give them any midday sun, if any at all during the hot summer months. I've actually gotten pods off of some of my red rocotos that never saw a minute of direct sun, 100% indirect light.
If you need more pube seeds let me know.   :cheers: Sliz

That's basically the plan, the left side of the bed is under shade always but things grow fine if a little stretched towards the light. I'm going to fill it with soil and plant rocotos, wilds, and maybe some shade loving companions

Back