• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Root Bound Pots

I would soak the pot it is currently in. Remove it from the pot & "tease" the roots out of the growth pattern that they have formed. That way the roots will grow outward / downwards easir in their new environment. JMHO.

I just pop em out of one container, drop em in their next home and pack some soil around the root ball without disturbing it too much. I have moved my peppers from starter 1" squares to 3" pots and they are now in 6" pots as of 7 or 8 days ago. None have died or had any noticeable set backs from the transplantings. Next time will be their summer home.

Why do I do it this way? Because I didn't know of any other way until I read this thread. That being said, I see no reason to change as it has been working for me so far.

If there really bound i rip the bottom 1/4 off this will encourage new growth. just like when ya move a large plant, cut the root with a shovel, around 50 pct, and wait a month, it will encourage new growth and when ya dig the rest, there isn't as much shock.

If they are severely root bound don't be afraid to rough up the roots a bit. I grab them from the bottom and rip the root ball in half or even quarters about 1/4 - 1/3 of the way up. Then I'll take my hands and rough up, tear, pull the roots that are in the shape of the pot so they spread out a bit.

They are a lot tougher then you may think, I've even taken and ripped up (Pulled out like a weed) some of the second seedlings in a pot, planted them in their own pot, and they do fine. This year I have a second purple piquin because of this technique, and it is only a little bit behind the one that wasn't treated like this.

I dig my fingers into the center and split the ball a couple of inches rotate half way and do it a again. Back in the day when I worked as a landscaper we used shovels and split then rootbound "balls" about half way up from the bottom. Never had a problem.

When I'm potting up I rarely do much with the roots. I make sure the plant is watered well so it doesn't crumble when I remove it from it's pot and there is plenty of room in the new pot for it to fit in and then fill the space with growing medium. Haven't lost one yet.

Back