• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Root Riot Propagation for Seed Starting

I went to the local hydro shop a couple of weeks ago, and was looking for some rapid rooter plugs to start my seeds. They didn't carry that brand, but had the root riot brand. It is a 50 cell tray, with the plugs already in it. I also bought a 6" vented dome.

Here's a link to what I bought: http://www.growthtechnology.com/product/root-riot/

Anyways, I went ahead and sowed 100 seeds (I bought 2 trays) mostly from generous members of this forum, and have had pretty decent results. So far about 70% germination after 10-14 days (I planted them a few days apart). I use heat mats to get them started,

Yesterday I took the domes off and put them all under a 2 light 4' T12 6500 bulb setup about 1-3 inches from the top of the seedlings. These plugs seem to dry out fairly fast (after 8 hours or so some are dry to the touch and shrinking). I'm not sure how often to water them. I took the heat mat off of the tray I started first, but am worried the room will get too cold (about 55-60 degrees for most of the day...65-70 the rest)

My plan is to fill the trays with water a bit every morning and night, let them sit for a half hour or so, drain the water remaining, and repeat. 

Does anyone have any experience using this brand? Please share your experiences with me to help me get some awesome plants for Spring!!!

Thanks!

-Mike

I have used Root Riots in the past. I used them to sprout seeds, and also for cloning. Now I use Sunshine #4 potting soil. It is loose peat moss with pearlite. Very good stuff. I think it is just easier to have loose potting soil. I still have a bag of Root Riots if I need them for something. They do dry out fast. That is why I use potting soil now. I have also sprouted my seeds via the paper towel method and then transferred them to pearlite. They were getting misted about every 15 min. Worked well, but to high maint.

I also use a heat mat. Better germination rates. Approaching 80% now with heat mat.

Without heat mat it was hit and miss. The worst was 10%.

Have you used Sunshine #4?

Maybe a little late, but I use Root Riots aswell and yes they do tend to dry out quickly. I water everyday by soaking them from the bottom and gently squeezing out the excess water. Be careful not to break the roots though! I also use a plastic dome (with vents open) to keep the moisture in a bit longer. Works fine for me!

/Bjornson

Back