• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

rooting question

Someone posted on here in the last couple weeks a way to make your own rooting hormone, but I cant find the post.

I lost a big branch off of one of my Caribbean Red hab plants last night in a thunderstorm and I'd like to see if I can get it to grow rather than see it go to waste.

Right now I have made a diagonal cut at the bottom of the stem and immersed it right away in a small vase, but thats all I've done. Theres a fair amount of leaves and a few small pods and flowers.

You're in PA. You should be able to buy rooting hormone at the Lowes or Home Depot. It's about $6 a jar. Might be easier than making a potion.

fineexampl said:
You're in PA. You should be able to buy rooting hormone at the Lowes or Home Depot. It's about $6 a jar. Might be easier than making a potion.

You probably right. I'll stop there on my way home from work...

Skyjerk said:
You probably right. I'll stop there on my way home from work...
Cool deal. I bought a jar myself the other day. All my plants are dying so i'm trying to salvage what i can and see how it goes.

I'm using Clonex. Works great, but I'm not sure if you can find it in stores. Got mine from a UK based seller on ebay.

willard3 said:
I use nothing to clone with a very high success rate. You really need nothing but water.
I've done it countless times with basils and other herbs using water only. You're totally correct.

I agree that you don't need anything else, but it helps speeding up the process and has given me a success rate of 100%. Without it, it was about 70%.

Chiliac said:
I agree that you don't need anything else, but it helps speeding up the process and has given me a success rate of 100%. Without it, it was about 70%.
Well i used rooting hormone by following the label directs and the darn thing shriveled to nothing and died deader than dead. Nothing's foolproof, but anything done to increase odds is cool. :lol:

I guess when picking a brand it's bound to be a hit and miss affair! Nothing can guarantee success under whatever cicumstances, but I guess I don't need to explain that to you! :)
It worked fine for me, improved the odds to the max, so I keep on using it, but I won't blame anyone getting great results with less effort!

Back