• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

rooting/transplant issues

So all the seedlings I have in peat cups, I want to transplant into solos or 3.5s. I was planning on just cutting the peat cup down the side so I don't mess with the roots too much. Turns out every single one has roots coming out of the bottoms or sides now. I really didn't think they would penetrate these cups after all the crap I've read about them.

So how can I transplant without ruining these little roots? Or am I screwed?

Since the roots are already penetrating the pot you should just go ahead and transplant them with the peat pot. Cut some slits in the rest of the pot to help make it even easier for the roots to expand. Make sure that none of the peat pot sticks out above the surface. 

agree with ocho , peats are made to break down , or remove what you can leave the  bottoms , they'll be fine . i purposely let some get big in their seed starter containers ( experimenting ) then cut down the sides across the bottom and remove . never had a one die yet .  even when roots were tangled with one or 2 more in container . all went well .their tough little fellows .   :onfire:

Ocho Cinco said:
Since the roots are already penetrating the pot you should just go ahead and transplant them with the peat pot. Cut some slits in the rest of the pot to help make it even easier for the roots to expand. Make sure that none of the peat pot sticks out above the surface.
moruga welder said:
agree with ocho , peats are made to break down , or remove what you can leave the  bottoms , they'll be fine . i purposely let some get big in their seed starter containers ( experimenting ) then cut down the sides across the bottom and remove . never had a one die yet .  even when roots were tangled with one or 2 more in container . all went well .their tough little fellows .   :onfire:
Thanks guys, I guess it is a good sign of tough roots. I'll do some cutting on the pots and bury them when I transplant.

If you're going to leave them on, try to rip the top of the peat pot off - the extra rim that is above the soil line. That extra material can act like a wick and dry out the soil near the roots of the plants.
     Personally, I would just remove them. I've had such bad experiences with those things in the past that I wouldn't even chance it. 

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
If you're going to leave them on, try to rip the top of the peat pot off - the extra rim that is above the soil line. That extra material can act like a wick and dry out the soil near the roots of the plants.
     Personally, I would just remove them. I've had such bad experiences with those things in the past that I wouldn't even chance it.
Yeah I thought about this when I was looking at them.
See I'm worried about removing them altogether though, I'm sure it'll damage the roots that are poking through

juanitos said:
root pruning is a natural process. you dont think moles / foxes / gophers / other stuff that dig damage the roots sometimes? its ok they grow back.
Haha good point, I guess I'm just paranoid. Its my first time growing from seed so I'm New to all this, kind of getting the parent feeling lol

I soak the pots till they are massively wet. Then carefuly remove the bottoms (and tops that are not at soil line) plant below the top of the peat pot to prevent wicking.

Ended up removing the whole cup and transplanting into solos. My heart broke a little when I heard the little roots snap where the soil and the cup bottom met. I really hope these guys make it

Back