• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Rotation system - thoughts please

I was day dreaming in the car today, thinking about a few ideas around a plant rotation system, and wondering whether the experienced growers of the forum could comment on the idea.

I was thinking of essentially using my grow tent to grow and fruit over autumn, winter and early spring, then look to transplant the plants into say 10 litre pots when there is no further danger of frosts, then start over again. My grow tent is only capable of holding about 10 - 12 plants, which is manageable for my liking.

So it would go like this:

Late winter - Germinate seeds
Mid Spring - Move plants from grow tent hydro into 10 litre pots
Late Spring - Put seedlings into grow tent

This would mean I would allow the plants in the 10 litre pots to die, and I'm reduced to 10 - 12 fruiting plants over winter rather than 20 - 24 over late spring -> summer.

One thing though, is there anyone experienced with going from hydro -> soil here? Just looking for some gotchas or stuff to be aware of.

You know, the 10 litre plant's don't have to dire. Just over winter them. The older the plant gets, the larger the fruit becomes.

imaguitargod said:
You know, the 10 litre plant's don't have to dire. Just over winter them. The older the plant gets, the larger the fruit becomes.

The issue I have is being able to house the plants to overwinter. Given I have a grow tent with artificial lighting, Im not really overwintering as it is. I could move the plants into the garage each night, but I can see that being an extremely tedious task.

i had a thai sun clone that i grew in a rockwool cube in my hydro system since december. about two weeks ago i transplanted the plant and cube into a pot of soil. its still growing alright but it did go into shock for a bit and started to lose a few leafs. that was my first time ever going from hydro to soil and im still waiting to see the final results.

Back