• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod Round pods, erect, weird

I purchased a "Bhut Jolokia" from a garden store at a hardware centre.  Before we left the store I had my doubts but thought it was worth a whirl.  What has grown is unlike any of my other peppers:

Here is one of the pod coming ripe:

I understand this is not a Bhut. I have a couple of actual bhuts I grew from seed so am not worried about that, I would be interested in what it could be though. Cheers for checking it out

Robisburning said:
Yip, not as exciting as I had imagined.  I ate the first ripe one today.  I don't have Jalapenos growing but have a great serrano which is pod laden and my first to give ripe pods.  Compared to those these barely register. It was sweet and crunchy and tasted nice. I will write back to the nursery now and see if they respond.  Truth be known I am disappointed but feel I have learned a genuine lesson.  $10 won't break the bank and I now know not to trust any old plant seller.  Imagine if you had based your season on those though, you would be furious.
Hey Robisburning, we have all been there... buying from mainstream commercial sites etc (I don't want to mention names here) and getting nothing close to what you wanted... or getting seeds that just never germinate - and having no recourse. It may cost more, but it is definitely worth buying from a reputable seed vendor. This site has loads of credible guys selling seeds. It is a bitter pill to swallow when you have asked for x and seemingly got x and actually ended up with what you got... a definite complaint is in order - I would say!

If it has a really low heat and sweet flavor like you said it could also be an Alma paprika. I grew those last year and the first set I got were all slightly larger than a golf ball and the second harvest were slightly larger maybe 1.5-2x the size of a golf ball and they grew upright as well. Very thick wall and a cluster of seeds towards the stem.

I would go with some kind of paprika as there is several types that are small, round and red that face skyward along with being a possible cross of one. I'm getting to where I try and trade or buy from members here as I know that the seeds will be right on or perhaps a cross, but at least I know that its pretty much what I want and not end up with the old bell pepper trick.

Back