• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Round Polo Ceramic Airstone, bad or good?

I'm looking for opinions about this type of airstones for a 10 pot homemade DWC system.

Will they start floating by themselves?

This is what they look like:
round-polo-ceramic-airstone-75mm-3--1268-p.jpg

I'm already using some of these. Very handy because it keeps itself sunk and doesn't float up.
ceramic-airstone1.jpg

I use the second one in my aquaponics but can't tell you much about the first one whats the price difference?

I use the second one in my aquaponics but can't tell you much about the first one whats the price difference?

The second one in size of 200mm cost 35USD(33AUD).

The first one is 125mm and cost 12USD(11AUD).

Not a lot to choose between in this country :(

here is one of the second one a bit smaller but it'll have much more surface area than the first one for bubbles

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fish-Aquarium-Round-Sintered-Bubble-Air-Stone-Airstone-/260994396461?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item3cc47a712d

I sure like this type of airstone it's just that it's so expensive here. The first one I posted is a lot cheaper so I wanted peoples opinions but maybe nobody here has tried them.

Wouldn't mind buying from another country but transportation would be expensive, those air stones are pretty heavy. Plus I want a Hailea Air compressor at the same time, which is heavy. Plus the Norwegian import tax of 20%.

I sure like this type of airstone it's just that it's so expensive here. The first one I posted is a lot cheaper so I wanted peoples opinions but maybe nobody here has tried them.
I have been running that exact airstone for about 2 weeks now in a test setup DWC/bubbler. Working great so far (laying still on the bottom) but can't say much more than that since I've only used it for 2 weeks.

I have been running that exact airstone for about 2 weeks now in a test setup DWC/bubbler. Working great so far (laying still on the bottom) but can't say much more than that since I've only used it for 2 weeks.

Thanks for the feedback :) I got a bit paranoid about buying new types of air stones. Tried some other type from an aquarium store and the stone was only floating upside down and everywhere.

I would use the 2nd. The amount of surface area on the 2nd is probably 20 times more. I personally use the big ball stones because they sink and are a lot more affordable. Plus the amount of surface area is huge.

golf-ball-airstone.jpg

I would use the 2nd. The amount of surface area on the 2nd is probably 20 times more. I personally use the big ball stones because they sink and are a lot more affordable. Plus the amount of surface area is huge.

golf-ball-airstone.jpg

Good suggestion! I just heard the "blue ball" air stones have more chance to clog up. Just read some people talking about that online. Don't think it would be much of a problem anyway, if you use organic nutrients then it might be a problem.

They sure are much more affordable, might be cheaper just to change them out if they should clog.

I own several fish tanks and never have a problem with them getting dirty. After a few years in water 24/7 they connector can get brittle and disconnect, but at the price I always have several on hand as I own several large fish tanks.

im using the balls (hah!) when they clog up a quick scrub usually unclogs it and its ready to be used again.

I own several fish tanks and never have a problem with them getting dirty. After a few years in water 24/7 they connector can get brittle and disconnect, but at the price I always have several on hand as I own several large fish tanks.
im using the balls (hah!) when they clog up a quick scrub usually unclogs it and its ready to be used again.

Thanks guys :) Tried to search a lot on google about what air stones were recommended but couldn't find much. You guys have answered the questions I had :)

Back