• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Round Rock Texas Grow

It's that time of the year again......these are the habaneros I am growing this year. Everything went into the ground in April besides the two survivors from last years grow...more on them below ;). All purchased from chili plants.com.

HABANERO CHOCOLATE
HABANERO JAMAICAN RED
PRIMO YELLOW
TRINIDAD SCORPION CHOCOLATE
REGINAS RED HOTS ****
7 POT BUBBLE GUM ****
SUN GOLD HYBRID (cherry tomatoes)

Okra
Raspberry cauliflower
Broccoli
Strawberries

So the good news is that the Regina Red Hots and 7pot bubblegum plants came back from last year. Regina is more like a bush while the 7pot plant is like a TREE! You can see how tall and wide it is in the picture with me. I am 6' tall for size reference. It has 60 + pods on it. Between my feet in that picture is one of the new plants, hard to believe that is how small they start out! I picked and ate an orange one so it wasn't all the way ripe but whoa! On the other hand Ragina only has 10 or so pods on it. All of the other plants are coming along fine with the ones in my veg trug kicking the most ass. I even got a little crazy and put dead crawfish deep under the okra and cherry tomato plants. My little girl always swipes a few to play with and they inevitably end up for me to fish out of the pool the next day..,why not put them to good use.

Anyway super hots coming early this year be as of old plants, rain, and no heat here in central Texas!

Will update as the grow goes on........Maybe snap off a picture or two of the other plants tomorrow.

Sent from my Garden

Looking good man. I'm right down the road from you in Austin and my plants are absolutely loving the weather this year. I planted out on April 6th and haven't had to water them a single time since. Did you just overwinter last year's plants straight in the ground? With the extremely mild winter we had I'm not surprised they survived since I think the coldest it got was maybe 30 degrees. 

Good luck with your season!

Mikes said:
It's that time of the year again......these are the habaneros I am growing this year. Everything went into the ground in April besides the two survivors from last years grow...more on them below ;). All purchased from chili plants.com.

HABANERO CHOCOLATE
HABANERO JAMAICAN RED
PRIMO YELLOW
TRINIDAD SCORPION CHOCOLATE
REGINAS RED HOTS ****
7 POT BUBBLE GUM ****
SUN GOLD HYBRID (cherry tomatoes)

Okra
Raspberry cauliflower
Broccoli
Strawberries

So the good news is that the Regina Red Hots and 7pot bubblegum plants came back from last year. Regina is more like a bush while the 7pot plant is like a TREE! You can see how tall and wide it is in the picture with me. I am 6' tall for size reference. It has 60 + pods on it. Between my feet in that picture is one of the new plants, hard to believe that is how small they start out! I picked and ate an orange one so it wasn't all the way ripe but whoa! On the other hand Ragina only has 10 or so pods on it. All of the other plants are coming along fine with the ones in my veg trug kicking the most ass. I even got a little crazy and put dead crawfish deep under the okra and cherry tomato plants. My little girl always swipes a few to play with and they inevitably end up for me to fish out of the pool the next day..,why not put them to good use.

Anyway super hots coming early this year be as of old plants, rain, and no heat here in central Texas!

Will update as the grow goes on........Maybe snap off a picture or two of the other plants tomorrow.

Sent from my Garden
Not you put da lime in da coconut shirt... :rofl:

TXCG said:
Looking good man. I'm right down the road from you in Austin and my plants are absolutely loving the weather this year. I planted out on April 6th and haven't had to water them a single time since. Did you just overwinter last year's plants straight in the ground? With the extremely mild winter we had I'm not surprised they survived since I think the coldest it got was maybe 30 degrees. 

Good luck with your season!
Yup just left them in the ground...REGINAS looked dead but came back from the base of the main stem. The 7 pot never even lost any leaves lol. I was still pulling peppers in November. Good luck with your grow as well. I think it's way cool your work is letting you plant on their office lot.
More Hotta said:
Not you put da lime in da coconut shirt... :rofl:
Gotta love the shirts at woot.com. ;)

Some pictures of the other peppers....

Here is what is in the vegtrug this year. From left to right back row :chocolate scorpions, primo yellow, Regina red hots. Front row : cilantro, green magic broccoli, cilantro, premium crop broccoli, and the raspberry cauliflower that's all leaf no cauliflower lol.

REGINAS

Primo Yellow

Chocolate scorpion

In a new part of my landscaping I snuck in the Jamaican red. It was a big pepper producer last year so I ordered it again this year.

Here you can see my cherry tomato plant and new to me okra plant. Picked 4 or so last weekend, beer battered them after slicing and fried them up = yum!

As much as I like the vegtrug I think that next year I am going to extend the backyard landscaping bed (where the vegtrug is now) and plant in the ground. I will have more room which means more plants. And I can rig up a individual drip irrigation off of my pop up heads that are there now. Maybe a fall project?

Gotta love the Tejas weather!

And yes we got away with a no freeze winter...for once :shh:

Good luck this season!

About a month later here are some more pix...

REGINAS from last year started popping them out. Ate one yesterday and love the sweet heat! Great tasting hot habanero.

Yellow primos looking pimply and wicked tails. Can't wait to try this new to me pepper.

Chocolate Trinidad scorpions producing huuuuuge pods.

Jamaican reds growing in the landscaping. It like the semi shaded day but is lagging behind in height and pods. It's all good tho I'm sure I will have plenty come the end of throwing season.

Okra and cherry tomatoes growing like weeds. Seems like I'm picking 3-4 big okra so to fry or grill every few days. This is my first year growing it and it is a forgiving plant.

7 pot bubblegum tree! Almost 6' tall. 60-65 pods already

No picture of the chocolate habanero that next to the 7 pot. It's shy and quits growing when I take pictures of it :)

Sent from my iUlcer

Both plus eating a few raw a day...love em. So do all of the restaurants around me that make spicy food. It's nice going places and eating for free because I am habanero Mike :)

1st harvest of the year off of the 7pot bubblegum that made it through the winter. A little over 1lb of peppers. This is the majority of the pods that were on there from the last update picture. 15 or so stayed on to ripen up a bit longer. I understand my plant is not displaying the phenotype that makes the stems turn red. Oh well, I'm just happy I already have peppers for the year :) and they are hot as shit....

Another pepper update.

With temps hovering around 105 and flowers and fruit falling, I decided to put back up the shade tent I made last year. Really need to break down and get some real deal shade cloth but the king sized white sheet will work lol. Anyway all plants doing well with an avg of 20-25 pods on them (minus the Jamaican red and chocolate habanero plant). For whatever reason they just aren't growing like the others...oh well. I already have enough 7pot bubblegum slices pickling to last through the non pepper growing doldrums of nov-mar :)

Shade tent

Vegtrug plant shots

Jamaican reds growing but not as fast as the example did last year in the vegtrug. Only two pods on this one so far...wha wha whaaaaaa

The little plant that could...REGINAS red hots. Not as tall as the other plants because it came back from the dead. Like how it is a bush...but makes it a bit harder to snip the pods. This is a great example of a pod that has it all. Sweet, flavorful, hot up front that doesn't build or last long. A real winner imo. I hold onto the stems and eat them raw.

Two of the yellow primos got some color on them. Most of the have really elongated tails and are fun to look at.

Close up of the chocolate scorpions. A few have defined tails but most pods are looking like this one with tons of bumps.

The 7pot bubblegum tree ;). Close to 6' tall now and putting out pod after pod after pod!

Sent from my iPad

A few shots of my first chocolate Trinidad scorpion pod. I have grown the regular color variety for the past few years and comparatively these seem to have a smoker less floral flavor (no diesel fuel smell as well) but all the heat! I saved the seeds for next years grow...but am thinking that maybe before the next freeze in November to take a few cuttings from all of my plants to have something to piddle with inside :)

Sent from my iGarden

Time to try the Primo Yellows. Wicked crazy tails on these. Bright yellow coloring. Thin walled peppers with lots of placenta but little to no seeds. The smell when cut open was that of lighter fluid and a little fruit. The piece I munched was flavorful and had some heat upfront on the tastebuds, built a little and then slowly dissipated. Nothing like the chocolate scorpions I'm growing which is not for human consumption lol. Anyway another new to me pepper that will be enjoyable.

Sent from my iPad

Shade tent is holding up ok sorry about the delay. School is starting up again for my students which means summertime Mike goes away till next year lol. Central Texas got a ton of rain over the past week. Plants like it I guess but looks like they need to dry out a bit. Will post some more plant pix when the light gets better. All plants pumping out pods!

A few tail shots :). Yellow Primos.

Back