• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Round Two with DWC

Whats up yall!

Time to get some peppers going again!
 I gave DWC a shot two years ago and it went fantastic.....until I got some kind of root bugs and thrips that I could not kill off (I tried three different root dips, sns, and even a friggin bug bomb, spent over $120 on treatments before I caved in)

My 1st go round is here:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/65938-first-shot-at-dwc/

I moved and started completely fresh with a new tent. Just finished building the DWC tub and it has been fully water tested. Found a sweet airpump for $30 on amazon and its a beast, each of the big stones fills half of the tub with bubbles. Tub is 27 gallons and when full holds about 20 of nutrient solution so it should hold temps stable and not have to be refilled much.
20190912_160924.jpg

20190912_160929.jpg

Scored a decent light off Craigslist for $30 (86 true watts), we will see how it does...if needed Ill be getting a more powerful one.
20190912_160940.jpg

I have two small fans, one circulates and the other will exhaust when the humidity get too high via the humidity controller. Temps are good now but once winter sets in I have a dual stage thermostat and heater then will maintain temps.
20190912_160948.jpg
20190912_161016.jpg

I was looking for Orange Thai from SSE and found old seeds from a grow about 3 years ago...to my suprise many have sprouted. I separated them into two phenotypes, one with a ton of seeds and one with hardly any. So far the " many seed" variety is popping first. If I get enough of the "few seed" pheno I'll be growing that exclusively. I also have some Aji cristal and yellow pequin Im going to grow outside of the tent. Ill probably keep the cristal in my bathroom and the yellow pequin in my living room...though I have not decided if im going to hassle with DWC or just go straight soil.
Two broke the surface last night!
20190912_161156.jpg

20190912_161116.jpg

Nice.  I'll be following this.  
I started a Baquinho in Kratky mason jar and have since moved it to a 3.5 gallon bucket with an ayirstone and the pepper looks awesome.  
I've never done hydro before and this is really interesting.  

Good luck with everything and I'll definitely be following!

Tybo said:
Nice.  I'll be following this.  
I started a Baquinho in Kratky mason jar and have since moved it to a 3.5 gallon bucket with an ayirstone and the pepper looks awesome.  
I've never done hydro before and this is really interesting.  

Good luck with everything and I'll definitely be following!
Awesome! I was debating on the Kratky but I had dang near everything for the DWC, If i get some outdoor space a hug kraty is going down!

dragonsfire said:
Good Luck !
Thanks!

So I got my old racks out of the tent and the tub in, hung my light and am dry running for temps.....aaaaaan that light is friggin HOT.....I contacted the manufacture and they basically said they run hot...no bueno for an LED (only 86 true watts mind you)

Light fixture gets to 155*f and air temps about 85 (10* warmer than ambient room temp) 
20190914_210516.jpg

20190914_210156.jpg

I ran a Meihzi 120 watt fixture in 17' and it was just warm to the touch....although these are heat fins made of aluminum for passive cooling  and the other had fans internally. Going to grab another couple fans and am looking at getting another Meihzi.

Also scored a Bhut cutting today I am going to play with to dial in the tub and lighting before I get my precious thai's in there. 
20190914_210424.jpg

UPDATE

Out of 7 srpouts only two made it past true leafs. I am please to announce that I got the two that made it out of the danger zone. Cannot wait to do some stir fry going with these. I topped off the rez a bit to much and they got droopy, almost back to form. Thanks to the size of the rez I haven't had to flush or add nutes yet, been autopilot other than adjusting the tap water for topoff. Little buds are already forming, which is surprising as I had read they took a long time to show pods.

My reaper cutting took off a bit then stopped, seems alot more finicky than the thai. A side note, the light is going strong despite running really hot. 

Attachments

• 20191110_163506.jpg
    20191110_163506.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 20191110_163521.jpg
    20191110_163521.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 73
I used that same tub and the same airstones for a DWC earlier this year.  Worked great (a little too well in my case, really).

Good luck with your grow!

Hey, Nick, maybe you will be a victim of
your own success, like Uncle E this season  :rofl:

Uncle_Eccoli said:
I used that same tub and the same airstones for a DWC earlier this year.  Worked great (a little too well in my case, really).

Good luck with your grow!

Right on, I was suprised. They seemed to be doing well...then they just exploded. Going to be hundreds of pods soon! Orange Thai SSE (isolated, I will be giving the reaper its own bucket before it buds)  will be avilable again. I found one person who said they sere growing it but its been out of stock for a while now. Had one shot with these, woot!

PaulG said:
Hey, Nick, maybe you will be a victim of
your own success, like Uncle E this season  :rofl:

Honestly Im lost (sorry im slow haha) but at this rate Ill be doing some SFRB for sure!

I was just thinking that the plants will get so
big they will crowd you out of house and home!

Uncle_Eccoli said:
Completely lost control of this guy.
20190608-162827.jpg
Haha yeah mine are headed that way!

Scroll up to the Nov. 10th post and here we are today.....ridiculous lol.....and that light is only drawing 68 watts according to my meter. Here they are this morning....dozens if not hundreds of buds and already some flowers.

UPDATE!!!

SUCCESS!!! Woot!

So the system has worked waaaaay beyond my expectations.

I let the tub go just to see what would happen, once I had a viable pod for seeds. I have not added any nutrients other than the initial fill and now have dozens of ripe pods and dozens more ripening.

The water level dropped to about 3....and everyone survived to my shock and only showed slight nitrogen deficiency.

The orange Thai is in rough shape but bringing her back.

Used the grow micro bloom and under dosed to an EC orabout 360-400. Kept ph at 5.5, with the nutes it remains very stable.

I have ressurected an isolated Orange Thai SSE from three year old seeds. Very excited to get this pepper back in pure form after not seeing it for years. Ill be harvesting all seeds and starting another grow in the next couple months.

I plan on making a little bonsai out of this one.

Next grow I am going to focus on one plant and try to max its potential and fill the tent to really bring back this awesome pepper. I have noticed two distinct phenotypes, one with alot of seeds and one with very few. I will be growing with the latter to try and really get this dialed in for cooking.

One last thing....these ones are smokin hot compared to the pods I've tried on the past (relatively speaking of course)

Attachments

• AF82BB83-884B-45E1-A09E-3976395D6E80.jpeg
    AF82BB83-884B-45E1-A09E-3976395D6E80.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 74
  • FF7B9C26-D9A2-4A7F-883B-DE70DC440700.jpeg
    FF7B9C26-D9A2-4A7F-883B-DE70DC440700.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 1A38C83C-71ED-4D14-ABE5-10B99D91B94B.jpeg
    1A38C83C-71ED-4D14-ABE5-10B99D91B94B.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 80
Good luck with the Orange Thai resurrection, Nick.
A less seedy pod would be great for cooking and even
powders.

Back