• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Round Two with DWC

Whats up yall!

Time to get some peppers going again!
 I gave DWC a shot two years ago and it went fantastic.....until I got some kind of root bugs and thrips that I could not kill off (I tried three different root dips, sns, and even a friggin bug bomb, spent over $120 on treatments before I caved in)

My 1st go round is here:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/65938-first-shot-at-dwc/

I moved and started completely fresh with a new tent. Just finished building the DWC tub and it has been fully water tested. Found a sweet airpump for $30 on amazon and its a beast, each of the big stones fills half of the tub with bubbles. Tub is 27 gallons and when full holds about 20 of nutrient solution so it should hold temps stable and not have to be refilled much.
20190912_160924.jpg

20190912_160929.jpg

Scored a decent light off Craigslist for $30 (86 true watts), we will see how it does...if needed Ill be getting a more powerful one.
20190912_160940.jpg

I have two small fans, one circulates and the other will exhaust when the humidity get too high via the humidity controller. Temps are good now but once winter sets in I have a dual stage thermostat and heater then will maintain temps.
20190912_160948.jpg
20190912_161016.jpg

I was looking for Orange Thai from SSE and found old seeds from a grow about 3 years ago...to my suprise many have sprouted. I separated them into two phenotypes, one with a ton of seeds and one with hardly any. So far the " many seed" variety is popping first. If I get enough of the "few seed" pheno I'll be growing that exclusively. I also have some Aji cristal and yellow pequin Im going to grow outside of the tent. Ill probably keep the cristal in my bathroom and the yellow pequin in my living room...though I have not decided if im going to hassle with DWC or just go straight soil.
Two broke the surface last night!
20190912_161156.jpg

20190912_161116.jpg

PaulG said:
Good luck with the Orange Thai resurrection, Nick.
A less seedy pod would be great for cooking and even
powders.
Right on. Its totally doable as there is already an obvious pheno to work with. Im thinking I can get 3 generations in by the end of the year...fingers crossed.

internationalfish said:
Man, that looks great! Been thinking on and off of trying a smaller DWC, and this is getting my Amazon trigger finger very itchy...

Almost everything off amazon except the tub lol. Man that 30 gal Rez is BULLET PROOF, I never added nutes of had to adjust ph. I just PH's the top off water, only topped of twice in 3 months. Less maintenance than my outdoor peps by far.

OoNickoC said:
Right on. Its totally doable as there is already an obvious pheno to work with. Im thinking I can get 3 generations in by the end of the year...fingers crossed.

Wow, good luck with getting those three
generations in one year! Can't wait to see
what kind of results you get!

Back