• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

RS67Man's Garden of 2010

At least I have good news to share, the seedlings that are inside under lights are doing great! Still waiting for better weather outside, we still have not had a day go above 75f! Two weeks+ of nothing but cloudy rainy cool weather, it never ends.... Here is some happy photos!

Orange Habaneros in front, Purple Jalapeños in back, I can almost hear them growing!
000_0156.jpg

This Orange Habanero is a single plant, it split in two at the second leaf. I would say it is a happy camper!
000_0158.jpg

I just love the purple tint in the leaves of the Jalapenos.....
000_0164.jpg

hang in there neighbor, we're in the same boat...rain everyday for eastern WA is unheard of so I know you guys on the wet side are having an even tougher time.

edit- did I say "wet side"?!? LOL I must have meant "WEST" side...:)

The peppers in the garden are starting to wake up with the turn in the weather. We are getting some sunny days, and warmer temperatures, finally! The sad part is it looks like I lost a peter pepper, no new growth and it is looking very wilted. The nursery jalapeño has new growth from every node, and is really starting to take off. the 2 bells are setting pods, I am liking the Northstar strain, will probably go with those next year. My three purple jalapeños and orange habs have been inside under lights, as well as a stunted runt Bolivian rainbow. The japs and habs are going gangbusters have been giving them some outdoor sun in a attempt to harden them off for the transplant to the garden. The Bolivian rainbow was outside in a pot, got sunburnt, and stunted by cold weather, before I brought it in in a attempt to save it. I had transplanted it into the pot it is in now, and found a very underdeveloped root system. this plant is around 4 months old! I will continue to keep it inside under a light, and will see how long I can keep it going, maybe with a plant out next year......

I have photos!

here is the three purple jalapeños, and three Orange Habaneros:
100_1180.jpg

A bad closeup of secondary growth on one of the habs:
100_1181.jpg

The runt Bolivian rainbow:
100_1184.jpg

100_1183.jpg

Summer is here!!!!!!!!

The forecast for the next week does NOT have a single cloud in it, daytime highs in the high 70s to mid 80s. It is time to grow some peppers, FINALLY! I have avoided posting photos of what is out in the garden, embarrassed about it, they look so bad compared to everyone else here. It shows what happens to peppers that are exposed to long term cool, cloudy and wet conditions. But to document what has happened so far, here it goes.

The Bhuts, dropped all the leaves, but new growth starting at every node:
100_1185.jpg

100_1186.jpg

The generic Jalapeño, probably doing the best out of all the peppers left outside, growing from every node:
100_1189.jpg

The generic Habanero, it looks just like the Bhuts, sorry about the fuzzy photo:
100_1190.jpg

If it doesn't rot and fall off like the rest have done, my first harvested pepper will probably be a Bell:
100_1188.jpg

I have my Purple Jalapeños and Orange Habaneros that I started from seed a month ago hardening off in the sun:
100_1193.jpg

Good to see you're getting going. From what I've seen/heard from others on the site, it's been tough growing weather in WA.

It is done. I put my "babies" in the ground out in the garden, gonna make them run with the big plants. I am keeping the "runt" Bolivian rainbow as a indoor plant, the way it is growing all gnarly and twisted makes me think it will make a great bonsai. I noticed a ladybug on patrol on the cayenne, so it made me keep the reading glasses on while inspecting the garden. The Spinach that had bolted was infested with black aphids, so I pulled them out. No Popeye food this year!I had problems with black aphid last year on my green beans, but I am armed with ivory soap, and if that fails, off to the store to get neem oil. I am going to the local big box hardware store to get some other stuff, gonna get some tomato tone or Alaska fish ferts for the tomatoes and peppers. Heres the new recruits in the garden!

100_1194.jpg

100_1195.jpg

I received a package from Cappy, with about 2 dozen 7 Pot Brain Strain seeds. I have taken 2 seeds and put them into some wet dirt in 3" nursery pots. I put the pots in a little covered pan on top of the upright freezer. I know its a late start, but I could not resist. I have a southeast facing bay window that I plan on making shelves for, just to put over wintering plants on. The little Bolivian rainbow plant is now a dedicated indoor plant, It is sitting in the kitchen window. The wife thought I was misting it everyday, and she decided to help out. I let her know the spray bottle has Epsom salts in it, plants only need it every two weeks or less. In the process, she had sprayed off the paprika powder I had put on the plant, and a cat nibbled on it last night. Only a couple leaves missing, so its not bad. I reapplied the paprika this morning, the offender is getting a surprise next time....... :hell:

Things are really starting to grow, and I have a new addition. First the update photos:

Northstar Bell, with pods!
100_1207.jpg

This nursery Jalapeño is starting too get lots of buds, really growing fast!
100_1208.jpg

The Purple Jalapeños with a Orange Habanero in the background:
100_1212.jpg

I thought this Peter Pepper was a goner, but there is new growth!
100_1210.jpg

The poor Bhuts are starting to take off, I will be overwintering them. I really doubt I will get anything from them this year:
100_1214.jpg

The little Bolivian Rainbow that could is doing fine as a indoor plant, however one of my cats decided to nibble on it again. I have given the plant a misting of "spontaneous combustion" hot sauce to ward off the evil felines, just about drove myself out of the house when I sprayed it though! My new addition is a couple Brain Strain seedlings from seeds Cappy sent me. I could not resist sprouting a couple, just as a overwintering project with the Bhuts and Orange Habaneros.

Now is the time I really need to watch for black aphid, had them bad last year on my beans. I think I've seen a couple on the nursery Habanero, so its time to hit them with the soap.

If I can get peppers from the bells (done!) Jalapeños, and a couple others, I will call this season a success for my first year.

Babies!!!! 7 pot Brain Strain from seeds that Cappy sent me. I planted two seeds, and both germinated. I know it is kinda late start, but they will hopefully overwinter for a real early start on next year. Besides, I figure a bit of experimenting doesn't hurt anything........and I could not resist......... :D

100_1215.jpg

Time for update photos. Things are a growing out in the garden, especially the peppers. We been having nice weather, mostly in the mid to high 70s with a couple days in the low to mid 80s. Last couple days have been starting out cloudy and cool, but clear up by about noon and get nice and sunny. :D

Overall shot of the pepper patch:
100_1236.jpg

The bhuts are really taking off, compare this photo to ones taken a month ago farther up in this thread! I finally saw some buds beginning to form today! I may get lucky and get a few peppers from them before I pot them back up for overwintering in mid September!
100_1239.jpg

100_1235.jpg

The generic Jalapeño has hit a major growth spurt, but it keeps dropping flowers. I hope this changes, lots of buds and flowers on it now.
100_1243.jpg

The Orange habs and Purple Jalapeños are doing OK, the Purple Jalapeños are flowering, and the Habaneros are showing tiny buds:
100_1240.jpg

The little Bolivian Rainbow plant I have been keeping indoors is doing great, even after being nibbled on by a cat. It even looks like a couple pods have set.
100_1244.jpg

Last but not least, the 7 Pot Brain Strain[sup]tm[/sup] seedlings are going gangbusters, really loving the flouro and 85f temps in the spare bedroom:
100_1245.jpg

Time for a quick update. Everything is going gangbusters now, I have pods setting on all of the Jalapeños, the cayenne, and the hot wax peppers. Everything else is getting flower buds, yet to be seen if the season lasts long enough to get pods.

I have been collecting seeds for next year, so far have quite a list:

Orange Habaneros (asiasgarden)
Purple Jalapeños (asiasgarden)
Red Bell (collected from a store bought pod)
Fresno (collected from a store bought pods)
7 pot Brain Strain (Cappy, from Mother Plant)
7 Pot Barrackapore (trade from Maligator)
7 Pot XXlarge Yellow (Pepperlover)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon Strain (Pepperlover)
Choc Bhut Jolokia (Pepperlover)
Fatali (Silver Surfer)
Trinidad Scorpion (Silver Surfer)
Dorset Naga (Silver Surfer)
Choc Habanero (Silver Surfer)

I hope the 2011 season is a success!

Back