• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Rust colored veins

The veins on some of my plants look a rusty color. Is this some nutrient deficiency?
011-5.jpg

I believe so...I would have to guess that your soil is very acidic and locking out something like Calcium. Found this info on the interwebz:

"Very acidic soils with excessive potassium, dry and or wet soil. Lack of calcium in the soil may cause too acidic soil. This may cause to Mg or Iron deficiency or very slow stunted growth"
"Calcium gets locked out of soil growing at ph levels of 2.0- 6.4"
"Calcium is absorbed best in soil at a ph level of 6.5-9.1 (Wouldn’t recommend having a ph of over 7.0 in soil) anything out of the ranges listed will contribute to a
Calcium Deficiency."

There is your answer. The plants are putting on their sunscreen for the lights you are using. Happens all the time.

millworkman said:
There is your answer. The plants are putting on their sunscreen for the lights you are using. Happens all the time.
I knew they turned dark on the leaves but not just the veins. Thanks

Yep, it's the flouros. When I upgraded from T12s to T5's mid-season this year, 80-90 % of my plants developed purple leaves (and still do - they don't quite get fully used to it), most developed dark purple stems, and about 30 % developed dark purple veins, exactly like your picture but more intense.

At first I thouht it would be a nitrogen deficiency, as that is the often-listed ailment for purple veins on pepper plants. But adding a high nitrogen fert did nothing, whereas taking some of the affected plants out from under the flouros and into the sun did resolve the issue within a few days.

Back