• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Sad day....

LOL,

Shane you Hero you.
No but seriously, I had a great first year because of you and Eric, and Denniz, I'm going to have a great second year because of you and a few others.

My friends ask me where I get all my seeds from, I tell them I'm a member of a club that trades seeds based on a honor system. They look at me with disbelief. Its hard for most people to believe that other people give a shit. We got something special here on THP.

I'll have to work some things out.... While it isn't an issue, I'm not gonna be "allowed" to spend the money I'm estimating for the size of these raised beds.... Especially if we decide to move after the 6 month lease is up.... Looks like I'll either have to start small and mix in some containers or go directly in the ground and fight the gophers....

THP is pretty awesome, I went from the initial 13 varieties I bought to about 30 plus a bunch of mystery mixes through trades and freebies.... I'll definitely be doing some free seeds later in the season....

I have a flat full of plants for ya...if you want them. Red and Yellow Brain Strains, Monster Infinity, Primo, Birgits Locoto, Manzano and some Anaheim, Poblano and a few sweet peppers that remain nameless, seeds gathered from market pods. I'm military also...so I feel your pain. Just say the word and all you gotta do is come and get them. Some other stuff out there, but that's all I can remember off the top of my head. A few tomatoes as well. The local nursery here in Poway has some Bhuts, Fatalii and Pequins among other stuff, so you could score there also.

PM me if you want the stuff. I am getting rid of it anyway.

shoot.. ill take it all hahahaha.////

Back to this, probably should start another thread but I'll keep it all here....
Raised beds, I'm looking for something that can be moved around easily or really low cost if it has to trashed if and when I move.... Could a PVC frame wrapped with plastic work? Would require less materials than wood or cinder blocks and could be taken apart and transported easily.... Haven't seen any on google images.... And what about those plastic wading/kiddy swimming pools? Although those might be an inefficient use of space....
Back to the PVC frame, if the plastic sheeting isn't good enough for keeping dirt in, sheets of plywood or something could help.... Still have some research to do....

Are 3 beds 30' x 3' a good size for 40ish plants? Or could it be smaller? Separate beds would allow me to build them as I have time, but would a single larger bed be better? Or more smaller beds? Like 8 3' x 10' beds?

So it looks like I'll have to go in the ground.... The wife doesn't want the yard filled with walmart bags or pots or buckets even though it'll be completely fenced in and you can only see it if your in the backyard.... And I'm not prepared to drop $600+ on materials and feets and mulch and stuff although I've really been considering building the frame out of PVC but its still a pretty high initial cost especially since she is contemplating having us move in 6 months.... Plus she doesn't get the addiction and doesn't understand why I need so many different types of peppers....

So test the soil for ph, nitrogen, potassium etc and amend as needed? And retest and repeat as needed?

You can make a framework out of 1-inch or larger PVC with a top rail about 12 inches high and use landscaping fabric to hold your soil in. I built some this way prior to hurricane Katrina. They worked perfectly. You could even line the bottom to help with the gopher situation. My bottom was open to the ground underneath.

You could dismantle and, haul everything with you, when the time comes for you to move. Brother, you have some of the finest pepper-growers in the country eager to help you! Good deal!

Thanks, I have a bit more to research.... Might end up doing in-ground raised beds to cut down on the soil and stuff to buy, that way at least I'm not having to find a truck to load up dirt and stuff, too.... Can't easily get a vehicle to the area, either so I'd be hauling everything around the house....

I'm thinking of lining the frames with chicken wire and the fabric.... Overall, it's cheaper than cinder blocks or wood, and transportable, but it'll still be a hard sell to the wife.... Estimating about $130 or so for mulch and ferts to do in ground compared to about $300 or so for PVC frames for raised beds and mulch and ferts.... The beds will get me about 40 plants, I think and in ground I'll be pushing for between 60 and 75 plants.... But the beds will look nicer than rows of plants in the ground, especially since she doesn't want the look of a bunch of pots sitting in the yard....

About those gophers...We have plenty of Diamondbacks and Mojaves here in Tucson. Would you like me to send you a few? They LOVE gophers!

O.K., enough with the joking.

My back yard is caliche, which is a soil(?) that is as hard as cement and takes a jackhammer to drill into. So I made 4 foot square raised beds using 2x6s and made the beds 10-12" deep. I used a cheap potting soil from Home Depot that goes for a little over $5 for 2 cubic feet bags (it doesn't have all of that Miracle Grow crap in it). Each 4'x4' box can hold 16 pepper plants each, as I used the University of Arizona's Intensive Planting Guide (http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/mg/vegetable/intensive.html). Because it gets so hot here, I like to crowd my plants as close together as possible to keep the soil a bit cooler and to help prevent so much water evaporation. The cooler and shaded soil of my boxes attracts lizards, which helps keep the bugs down.

Hope that helps.

Each 4'x4' box filled with soil cost me about $50 each.

My dad use to have a big garden in Chino Hills, CA. He had gopher problems too. Gruesome, but this is what he did. When he
would find a hole, either an entrance or exit hole, he would follow it or find the other hole. He put the hose on one end to flood it
out, and he would be at the other end with a shovel...You can guess what happened to that gopher.

My dad use to have a big garden in Chino Hills, CA. He had gopher problems too. Gruesome, but this is what he did. When he
would find a hole, either an entrance or exit hole, he would follow it or find the other hole. He put the hose on one end to flood it
out, and he would be at the other end with a shovel...You can guess what happened to that gopher.

My father back in Oregon had a gopher in his garden once. He went nuts trying to kill that gopher! He set up traps, but that didn't work. He used one of those poison sticks you light up and shove into the hole so that the gas would kill it. The next day he found the stick pushed out of the hole. One day,
while eating lunch, he saw the gopher pop its head up. So he ran and got his .22, fired a shot just as the gopher went back down. He missed. If I remember correctly, I think he gave up.

We don't have gophers here. We have ground squirrels, and pack rats. I don't hear about the ground
squirrels being a problem. Pack rats will tear up a garden in no time. I had one in my area for a few months, but it disappeared. I'm guessing either a snake, a hawk, or another neighbor's trap got it.

Thanks.... I'm looking at 4'x4' beds.... seems I can do 4 partially filled with soil for about 150.... but I'm only looking at 12 plants per bed instead of a crowded 16.... if I do more plants, they can go in pots....

Edit: my bigger issue should be my grow list.... I have 28 named varieties plus about 130ish seeds between some free mixes and 6 seeds from my experimenting with crossing a butch t and a scotch bonnet....

I wabt to grow out the crosses for sure but ill isolate them in pots.... So I guess ill have about 20 unknown plants....

We had a gopher once. After many unsuccessful attempts at catching, poisoning and trapping him, I decided to shoot him. So, I backed off about 250 yards, armed with my 300 Win-Mag loaded with 210-grain full-metal jacketed ammo.

My first shot missed a little high, hit an oyster shell, ricocheted, and caught the neighbor's Vietnamese pot-bellied pig right behind the ear. Didn't even squeal a lick! The little girl who owned it never heard or saw a thing.

Later that evening, after the roast-pig Bar-B-Q, I decided to try my hand at gopher killing again.

I poured about 15 gallons of gasoline down the hole and, threw an old rail-road flare into the tunnel. After I got out of the hospital, it took me about a week to sweep all of the dirt and pepper plants from the surrounding roofs.

I'm tellin ya, one of these days, I'm gonna get that stinkin' gopher.

Tim's story had me laughing so hard, I couldn't resist writing this! For any gophers to tunnel where I live, they'd need to grow gills.

Grow dem peppers brotha!

Back