• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Salmonella

Anyone else have news regarding the North America wide salmonella infected peppers. Here in Canada they were sold at many of our large supermarkets and not certain where in the USA but do know they were sold there too.
The word I got was they they're a Habanero type of pepper which I'm finding odd as I've personally never seen a Hab at the market here ?

Heads up !!!

It was just that one random pepper they tested.....lol all others are fine. (This statement has definitely not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration....) :hell:

Peppers were IMPORTED from Mexico,Packed in Ca. by Cal Fresno brand.
Doesn't say the disease originated in Mexico or at Cal Fresno.

Usually it's from the fields or in some instances if the same factory processes chicken too.
I've read that chicken juice got on produce once to cause Salmonella in a couple past cases .
Or the same trucks were used or whatever and not cleaned out properly.

I'd guess it's from people in the field not having a place to take a dump when they are working.At least thats usually the cause.
Probably not Cal Fresno's fault.

Ca. is pretty strict about food safety,it might not have been caught or traced back to the peppers origins in another state as fast until people were already sick from eating the peppers and they were all sold.

Back