• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Salsa Rojo

Salsa rojo...

Well the green tomatillo sauce is gone so time for the red version. Big jar is mild with a small piece of scorpion pepper. Small jar has the rest of it and is smmmmoking hot. The recipe is very similar to the last one and came, again, from my friend Blanca.

10 tomatillos roasted
10 guajillo peppers seeded and rehydrated in boiling water for 10 min
3-4 pieces of garlic roasted
Bigger slice of onion roasted
Salt
Oregano

Sent from my iPad

Thank you! That's what I was looking for and to be honest was skeptical that it would not be brown due to the green of the tomatillos. But when you rehydrate those peppers even the water turns red! I was amazed. I added a bit more onion and garlic this time around as well :). Next I want a smoker version, or maybe a peach habanero salsa? Picked most of my peppers and not getting too many new ones due to the Texas heat..103! Today. But plants are in the shade and still growing so just have to wait for things to cool off. Surprised some friends with fresh pepper and cigar packages :). It's always nice to share.

Roguejim said:
Salsa Roja.  Nice sauce; bad Spanish. :rolleyes:
Whoops. You would think I'd know better having a second home in Cozumel for the past 10 years. I guess I will always be a gringo and mess up my masculine and feminine nouns. At least the sauce doesn't know the difference :)

used this recipe for inspiration for a salsa verde. got some of these
20150829_132435_zpsz3bcyxxo.jpg

blended them with tomatillos, garlic, lime and cilantro...looked like this....

20150829_160004_zpsqusoeehx.jpg

browned some pork, added some chicken stock to make this.......tasty as all get out..

20150829_155209_zpsdczwpq6l.jpg

Gotta try the red sauce next time. Thanks Mike!

Back