• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Saphiras very late Glog for 2023

Hey,

i was sometimes thinking to open a glog to aks my questions there.
I wasnt sure if I use my actually chili plants for completely indoor for a few years or just for these year.

I am nearly sure that I dont plan atm to have chilis much longer than one year because I want to be a few weeks or even month to an other place.

Here are my chilis atm.

1680037155182.png

I think they are looking much better than a few weeks ago.

But my fan is to load, makes also to much wind and is to cold for the tent.

I dont like the sound of my USB-fan.
It is much quieter than my big fan but it has a very uncomfortable frequency.

Does someone has a cheap alternative?
My tent has round about 15°C and I wonder why my chilis still looks so beautiful.

They dont have much light and its very cold in the tent but I think that they are still growing?

Greeting Saphira :)

Hey,

i was sometimes thinking to open a glog to aks my questions there.
I wasnt sure if I use my actually chili plants for completely indoor for a few years or just for these year.

I am nearly sure that I dont plan atm to have chilis much longer than one year because I want to be a few weeks or even month to an other place.

Here are my chilis atm.

1680037155182.png

I think they are looking much better than a few weeks ago.

But my fan is to load, makes also to much wind and is to cold for the tent.

I dont like the sound of my USB-fan.
It is much quieter than my big fan but it has a very uncomfortable frequency.

Does someone has a cheap alternative?
My tent has round about 15°C and I wonder why my chilis still looks so beautiful.

They dont have much light and its very cold in the tent but I think that they are still growing?

Greeting Saphira :)
Im with you i hate USB fans I have in my tent, I wish I could find a fan that's a bit bigger but still just as quit

I've not yet found the fan that's not expensive and quiet, yet strong enough to deliver enough wind for my plants, but not to much and that doesn't take in to much room in my grow tent. It's always either two of those parameters, but never all of them. 😀

I don’t know about “ASAP” — I keep my seedlings in pots about that size until plantout, when they’re several times larger than shown here. I wouldn’t bother with an intermediate step between this and the final pot / ground. Maybe that’s already what you meant; just commenting in case it’s helpful.

For the final pot size, it can vary quite a bit and depends on your goal. If you want really strong production, you’ll want large pots — if modest production is acceptable, many varieties will tolerate almost any container.

Rough guidelines from my limited experience:

Capsicum chinense

3 to 10 gallons for strong production
1 quart to 2 gallons for modest production

Others

10 to ?? gallons for strong production
1 to 5 gallons for modest production

Thank you!
I think I will use 3 liter fabric pots as final pots because i want keep them in the tent.

A person from these forum gave me the tip that it could be better when i use more small pots than less big pots when i have less space.

Hey,

The leaves from some oft my chillis are looking ill.

I am not sure whats wrong with them.
They are pale and curl up.

On the photo they are shiny but I cant see these in real.

Some leaves from some Chilis are also Brown. I think these is because these Chilis have to much light? IMG_20230414_202438.jpg IMG_20230414_202435.jpg IMG_20230414_202409.jpg IMG_20230414_202359.jpg IMG_20230414_121151.jpg IMG_20230414_121136.jpg IMG_20230414_121055.jpg

Does someone have an idea whats wrong with these Chilis?

Thanks
Greetings
Saphira :)

Attachments

• IMG_20230414_202446.jpg
    IMG_20230414_202446.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 52
They look pretty dry, the fabric pots will dry out much faster than plastic pots. Are you giving them any nutrients? I start feeding my plants VERY early on in life. They look kind of pale, unless its because of your lights.

Looking at the history, it's a little hard to narrow down. What did you notice when you transplanted them? Were the root balls solid? Did they hold together well or break apart during transplant? Did the roots look more white or more brown? Did you give them a day out of the light after transplant or did they go right back under the lights? Also, what are you using for soil mix and was the mix moist or dry when you transplanted them into it?

My first guess is that they had been somewhat over-watered prior to transplant and then they were stressed by the transplant and/or environmental conditions after transplant, though it's just a guess without knowing more.

Hey,

thanks!
I have repotted them on Thursday first and then properly watered.
That they are dried out is true what me very surprised, because yesterday was Friday and they were then only about 24h before completely watered.
So the earth was believed when watering really completely wet. Have them both from above and from below watered until they have raised no more water and it ran out as I ate from above below again.

The soil I have from a tomato soil I mixed with a little compost and then mixed it all to a ratio of 2:1 with perlite.
Since they had eig enough fertilizer (was already afraid that the compost was too much fertilizer but was really only little compost) and I have repotted them only on Thursday evening / afternoon I do not think that it is due to too little fertilizer.

They came back inside the tent after that and the lamp was still on then yes.
When I repotted them I was mentally very stressed which is why I don't know if the soil was wet or what the roots looked like but I think I was careful when I repotted them.
But yes the earth was somehow dry yesterday what has irritated me already very much and I have watered them again.

Look at them later again. They are just sleeping, which is what I also still would do if some idiot hadn't storm rang the whole house about an hour ago (6 o'clock in the morning!!!!).
Since no ambulance was at the door I decided not to open.

Shouldn't she have gone back under the tent after repotting and why can the soil be wet so quickly?

Thanks a lot
Love greetings
Saphira

Last edited:
I don't know that I have any good recommendation for you other than to just give them good conditions going forward. Hopefully, the new leaves will start looking better. I suspect they were overwatered while in the smaller containers and the transplant may have been a shock.

To my experience, the perlite ratio is high for smaller containers. In a container soil/compost mix (which is what I'm using currently) I go about 60% soil, 35% compost, and only about 5% perlite. I find that higher perlite ratios can combine with wet conditions and create a soil conditions I think of as being like a cement mix, where the perlite dust mixes with the water and compacts/clumps around the roots. I find that can be hard on young plants.

When I transplant, I mix up my soil mix in a bucket and get it evenly moistened throughout prior to adding it to the pot. Then I add the transplant and water only a very little and only right at the base of the stem. I don't water the new soil at all after the initial mixing. Then I give the plant 12-24 hours of comfortably warm conditions without light or with very weak light so the roots can settle in and start expanding into the new soil. Usually it's several days before it's time to water again.

Last thought is that fabric bags can be tougher to water because the water will leak out the sides and areas inside, particularly the dense center of the root ball and below that, can remain dry. When I use fabric, I typically water twice. Once lightly, then I give it time to absorb throughout the container, then once again at least 20 minutes later when the soil is prepared to hold water evenly.

Just some ideas. I hope they recover well!

Hey,

sorry i couldnt look to my chilis.

But thanks for all your answers. Now i looked to it and i saw that the moste leaves full of specs.
Maybe fungus gnats?

I used neem oil and hope that I diddnt kill the chilis but the fungus gnats.

I think insects that which will eats them will be difficult because the chilis are in my growing tent in my sleeping room? :D
I loves animals but I am note sure if I want some insects in my house
Which possibility is there when the neem oil doenst work?

Okay I was very wondering why the Trauermücken are under the leaves.
Maybe I have just Aphids and fungus gnats?
But against both neem oil should help.

I know that my old earth had problems with fungus gnats because of that I removed it nearly completely.

I am also thinking about watering the peppers with neem oil (because of the fungus gnats) but I am not sure if these is too much for the chilis and I should just wait some time?

Back