• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Satrting from Seeds

[font=Arial']Greetings![/font]
[font=Arial']I am going to attempt to start plants from seeds over the winter months. I live in the Northeast Pennsylvania region and growing season is short. I just have a few questions that hopefully you can help me with....[/font]
[font=Arial']1. If I purchase seeds now will they be ok for say November planting?[/font]
[font=Arial']2. On average, if 10 seeds are purchased, does anyone know the % of germination for the 10?? (I think that's right)[/font]
[font=Arial']3. Soil to use when starting out? I will be staring in Styrofoam cups and then transplanting to pots for the duration of growing. I've heard that not every type likes the same soils. Correct???[/font]
[font=Arial']4 Once our season is completed what are the odds of plants surviving the winter months indoors?[/font]

[font=Arial']Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get as much info and knowledge as possible.....Looking forward to getting started![/font]

[font=Arial']Thanks and any comments and feedback would be greatly appreciated!![/font]

Welcome to THP Bill :party:

Not to put you off here, but you should do a search on all your Qs first. There are (last I checked) 6,108,788,943 threads on the above Qs (unscientific guess there :P ) that many of us have already answered to. After you get the general gist of the idea then you can ask some more specific Qs. Again, not being a punk, just a TON of info already here.

PS If the search here doesnt work A-OK, do an advanced google search on THP site for what you are after. It helps! Happy learning :dance: :dance:

Hey Bill, here is some answer to your questions in red, but Sure others will have stuff to say

[font=Arial']I am going to attempt to start plants from seeds over the winter months. I live in the Northeast Pennsylvania region and growing season is short. I just have a few questions that hopefully you can help me with....[/font]
[font=Arial']1. If I purchase seeds now will they be ok for say November planting? - [/font]Yes they shold be fine.
[font=Arial']2. On average, if 10 seeds are purchased, does anyone know the % of germination for the 10?? (I think that's right) - [/font]This all depends, on source, age, ect ect. I had germiated 2 doze peppers and only got 3, but most of the time i have 85-90% success rate.

[font=Arial']3. Soil to use when starting out? I will be staring in Styrofoam cups and then transplanting to pots for the duration of growing. I've heard that not every type likes the same soils. Correct???[/font]
I think this one has a big debate, everybody has there own theory this. So far I have been having good look with pro-mix and roots organic, both are around 75% peat moss base. They
look the best of my plants compared to the ones grown in the ground, straight compost, miracle grow. ect ect. I think alot has do with the evniorment, water, fertizlers, light ect ect.
For my starters, I use jiffy mix (homedepot) the little jiff pellets, compost, the abvove mentions products, and all. So its really a what is best for you and your price range in my opinion.

[font=Arial']4 Once our season is completed what are the odds of plants surviving the winter months indoors?[/font]
Yes, they will survie, there is a good guide about overwintering somewhere on the board, but will have to search for it. Pretty much just need to trim back, put under a light near a window and and keep it above 65F and you should be fine

saving it for the next winter. I am here in florida, and had plants complete dead and they come back to life. So long as you give it a little food every 6 weeks or so, and some water it should make it.

[font=Arial']Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get as much info and knowledge as possible.....Looking forward to getting starte[/font]

[font=Arial']1. If I purchase seeds now will they be ok for say November planting?[/font]
If you start seeds that early make sure you use a larger sized pot, I use a .3 gal air-pot for my early starts. If they grow well and you use a standard pot, they may become greviously root bound. The seeds themselves should be fine.

[font=Arial']2. On average, if 10 seeds are purchased, does anyone know the % of germination for the 10?? (I think that's right)[/font]
Depends on the species and supply. I got most of my pepper seeds from pepperlover, most of my seeds came out 80-95% but three came out 50%, one had 0%, and another had 50% but both seedlings died. Plant alot of backup seeds, If I want 1 type of pepper plant, I plant at least 8-9 seeds, just to get the one good one.

I usually use black gold potting soil, but my Bhut that I started in 1/2 black gold, and 1/2 fox farms ocean forest with a bit of vermicompost mixed in is doing super awesome. The Bhut is 4x the size of other Bhut plants I started at the same time, I might just use fox farms if I didnt have many plants, otherwise it costs too much.

http://www.fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=95&Itemid=105

You dont need to make the plant into a bonsai, and you can leave more roots if you have a larger pot, but the instructions and pictures are really good.

[sub]Thanks for the feedback....I will continue to read the threads on the site.....very informative so far... sometome tooooo much to take in all at once.[/sub]
[sub]I didn't realize just how much went into some of the care these lil' beauties require...Much different than my wife just throwing a cucumber plant into the garden! LOL![/sub]
[sub]Thanks again Woody3, Josh and Cyan....I really appriciate the feedback.[/sub]

Not really. I start my seed inside Feb. 1st. With some lighting and nutrient improvements I made this year I may be starting a few varieties in mid Feb. next year since they get so tall so fast, but others will be Feb. 1st again.

I don't find it difficult as I haven't had any really bad issues besides my own fk ups. No diseases (knock on wood), few bugs (besides a little aphids), and no real soil issues (I will say it again Jersey, The Garden State, has fkin great soil). The issues that I have had have been my own mistakes such as; putting the plants in full day sun without hardening them off, over watering, watering at the stem and letting dyed mulch touch the stem which killed three of my plants. Also bad potting soil killed my morouga and one of my trinidads i think because during our rainy spell it held too much water. This is my first year grow so these are my mistakes up untill now and I still have 16 out of 22 plants so I think I am still on the up swing.. plus I have had to transplant from pot to ground then from ground to ground again because of an asshole neighbor.. the second ground no shock no nothing... just this heat.

fyi the second move i did nothing to the soil but turn it over.. I didnt even add the manure like I should have because I didnt have the money and I HAD to move them. Still they look great. I used a lot of soil I had under some leaf bags that I purchased from Home Depot next to my garage. It was black and looked so good I figured it was good composted soil.. It had the brown from the bag which are tall paper leaf bags, I had no veggies and grass clippings with twiggs and branches from bushes that were over grown and trees that had been trimmed.

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]

:welcome: from the PacificNorthWest, USA![/background]

[sub]I didn't realize just how much went into some of the care these lil' beauties require...Much different than my wife just throwing a cucumber plant into the garden! LOL![/sub]

Actually, chile plants are quite easy to grow and the plants are extremely hardy.
Paying too ,much attention to a chile is a frequent cause of their demise.

Back