food Saturday Morning Jerkapenos 06-06-09

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
One of my best friends turns 50 today and is having a get together at his house starting at noon. For his birthday present from me, he asked for some Jerkapenos. I, of course will fulfill his request.

I am going to smoke about 100. Here is a picture of the ingredients. The ingredient list is: 50 Jalapenos, Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Mozzarello Cheese, Jalapeno Pimiento Cheese, Texas Red Onion (from my garden), Voodoo Ash, White Pepper, Mediterranean Sea Salt, Andouille Sausage, Pickled Red Savinas, and Chocolate Habanero Concentrate (from November 2008). I have three different meats to wrap them in....sliced London Broil Top Round, Sliced Virginia Ham, and Sliced Pastrami...

060609a001.jpg

progress pics will be posted...

Started stuffing/wrapping peppers, smoker is heating up....

060609b001.jpg

Wow that is quite the popper assembly line there! Just so you know, MY birthday is coming up too! (July 12).

Looks like a great bunch of poppers AJ but what makes them jerkapenos? Also did you have to buy your jalapenos?

JayT said:
Wow that is quite the popper assembly line there! Just so you know, MY birthday is coming up too! (July 12).

if we lived closer together JayT...I would gladly cook you up a batch or two or three or...well, you ge the idea...

POTAWIE said:
Looks like a great bunch of poppers AJ but what makes them jerkapenos? Also did you have to buy your jalapenos?

I call them jerkapenos because while smoking them, the meat almost turns to jerky...

yes sir, had to buy the Jalapenos...have a few ready to pick but I didn't have 50 ready...

first batch on the smoker...

ham....

060609c002.jpg

Roast beef and pastrami...

060609c001.jpg

these are going to be special poppers for my friend...two bhut jolokias and one naga morich...fresh picked and green as you can see...

060609d005.jpg

Batch one complete...

060609e001.jpg

060609e002.jpg

batch 2 part one...I decided to try and smoke on my gas grill...indirect heat with chips in a pan on the opposite end....seems to be working well..oh, by the way...batch one was kinda mild so I added a lot more...probably 4 ounces of the chocolate habanero concentrate to it...

060609f001.jpg

batch 2 part 2...back on the smoker...

060609e003.jpg

soo good

AJ definately would be an awesome birthday present, what are you smoking the poppers with? looks sooo good i'm definatley trying this, can't wait to see more concoctions!:shocked:

QuadShotz said:
Lookin' good AJ!

Glad to see I'm not the only one using pastrami and roast beef...soooo good. ;)

thanks Bro...I kinda got the idea from you Quad...I was using ham already but said...if ham works...so would other sliced deli meats....

texas blues said:
Once again AJ you get my highest rating! We need pics of the "special" poppers being eaten.

Cheers, TB.

bows to the master....thanks TB...pictures will be coming this evening/night when I get home...if I am not too drunk to post them....

Noshownate said:
AJ definately would be an awesome birthday present, what are you smoking the poppers with? looks sooo good i'm definatley trying this, can't wait to see more concoctions!:shocked:

thanks nate...they are definitely delicious...using hickory for smoke

special Jerkapenos have 4 ounces of 7 pot concentrate added to the already fiery batch two stuffing...the most extreme ones are the bhut jolokias that have an "extra helping" of stuffing and an additional 1/2 tsp of 7 pot concentrate...they are the ones with 3 toothpicks sticking in them...

here they are smoking...

060609f0012.jpg

AlabamaJack said:
thanks Bro...I kinda got the idea from you Quad...I was using ham already but said...if ham works...so would other sliced deli meats....

Ah, Cool!

I wasn't sure who did what/when, but just that it was from the Popper Contest. Besides being yummers, it helps hold it all together too better than bacon. And, it tends to be less of a grease-fest.

Curious, which one is your fave?

There are sooo many deli meats to use..I wanna try Prosciutto sometime...

IMO, the Pastrami rules. :cool:

I gotta say I like the roast beef best, then the pastrami, then the ham...but they are all delicious...and like you say, it is less greasy than using bacon...not that I won't use bacon any more...like you, I like having the deli meat to hold all the goodness inside...

final

finalplatejerks.jpg

a little too crisp for me should have smoked alittle longer. still reslly rreally good. 2 cubanelle's 3 jalapeno's store bought, oven roasted turkey, cream cheese pepper jack, shreded cheddar etc.. props to aj

joeknowsjolokia said:
Now if they just made deli meat big enough to cover plobano's!:shocked:

if you buy the precooked packaged meat from the same grocery store they'll slice it into deli slices for free (the ones I've asked)
just as long as its boneless, so if ya buy a big ham they could slice you pieces big enough to wrap around plobanos.
worst case you pay an extra dollar or two for the slicing.

Good job Nate!

We'll have ya a chilehead chef in no time.
smilie_essen_062.gif

Gotta love those Weber bbqs's too....looks like ya got a nice waterfront spot there. :)

Mind if I drool all over this thread?

I've done this a long time ago, way before my chili days, using a slice of dill pickle instead of a pepper. Now why didn't I think of this? Thanks AJ and Quad.

Back