shipping Sauce darkens aftdr shipping

Have you all experienced any issues with your sauce darkening due to shipping? If so what solutions have you found.

My sauce tends to darken on a long journey and in at least one case resulted in change in flavor

Solution
As an update I believe the problem came from incomplete seal. I use metal caps lined with plastisol. I learned the plastisol needs a minimum temperature of 180 for a proper seal. My hot fill is only 165.

The solution is to simply preheat the caps to between 180 - 190F.
Oils oxidize fast, and oxygen is not the oily factor. That's why olive oil is in a dark bottle and has an expiration of about a year. But did you know moisture can also affect this? Moisture may be key here with the oil being in sauce. Please see here:
  • Light (UV) can trigger the oxidative degenerative cascade. Reduce the exposure of the oil to direct light by using brown glass/plastic containers or black plastic bags.
  • Moisture in combination with these other factors can accelerate oxidation. If possible limit the amount of water in the oil to less than 0.2%.
Source:

This is why I recommend ascorbic acid.
Very interesting! Thank you! I've got some ascorbic acid on the way.

@MarFar, keep in mind that ascorbic acid has a sour taste, and can possibly change the flavor of your sauce. Also, it has a pH of 1-2.5, and can possibly change the pH of your sauce. How much effect it will have on these things depends on how much you use. Just an fyi.

Agreed but the small amount needed should not really be detected in the taste like citric acid would, which is much more tart/sour. But good point.

Thanks. I've always thought guar gum and xantham gum are equally good in terms of binders and thickening agents. No?

Reason I went with guar gum is because it's gluten free.
Curious why you would think xantham gum isn't? It's a common ingredient in gluten-free flour blends. )Apparently it can cause similar reactions (so can guar gum) but it doesn't actually have gluten.)

Not criticizing your choice, just wondering about it...

Curious why you would think xantham gum isn't? It's a common ingredient in gluten-free flour blends. )Apparently it can cause similar reactions (so can guar gum) but it doesn't actually have gluten.)

Not criticizing your choice, just wondering about it...
I seem to remember reading somewhere that xantham gum is not truly gluten free. Could be wrong. But the Gluten Free Society does not endorse it. https://www.glutenfreesociety.org/is-xanthan-gum-gluten-free/

Seems to be a lot of discussion about it in celiac circles but most of that indicates a sensitivity, and some are sensitive to guar. I also note that the link makes the claim that it contains gluten but doesn't back it up. (a personal peeve of mine)

But as I said, it's not a criticizm and it's not my product. I see nothing wrong with your choice, it was pure curiosity - so I'll leave it at that and drop it :)

There are lots of thickeners including carrageenan which is made from seaweed. Some xanthan is made from waste whey from cheese processing, some from corn, but i have not found a way to find out the xanthan source.

At some point you have to realize you will not be able to please everyone, If you want to cater to that VERY small niche market that is celiac gluten intolerant and a hot sauce purchaser, that is a VEEERRRY small market. Do the best you can to cater to allergies and what-not, and then make the decision as to how far down the rabbit hole will actually sell sauces and keep you in business.

This is not addressing the discoloration issue....but one other thing I noticed was the aquafaba, which is sort of a thickening agent, but is more of a foaming agent, not a stabilizer. I have not used aquafaba, so take this with a huge grain of salt. After looking at info online, aquafaba seems to make a nice foam., but is not like the gums which stabilized/suspends and holds the sauce from separation. I noticed in the bottle picture a lot of bubbles, which will break down and the bottle will look short filled. Again, there are LOTS of different gums. There is a Sticky here somewhere...

Gotta think more about the color and bitterness....

What I do know is you might want a proper emulsifier like xanthan gum.

I know there's been discussions here in the past about the RIBUS product Nu-FLOW, and even a few folks here use it. Have you heard about their product called Nu-RICE? It might be and option for emulsification. I now have some in hand, but I haven't tried it yet.

I know there's been discussions here in the past about the RIBUS product Nu-FLOW, and even a few folks here use it. Have you heard about their product called Nu-RICE? It might be and option for emulsification. I now have some in hand, but I haven't tried it yet.
Were you able to purchase this directly without a large minimum order quantity, or how did you acquire?

Ribus will send you a sample, don't know what there minimum is now.

Ribus will send you a sample, don't know what there minimum is now.
Just ordered a sample. The minimum is what I'm concerned with though because I just went thru that with Ingredion. They have a great product called Evanesse that is a chickpea broth emulsifier. Got a sample, worked great, and then found out their minimum order is a freakin pallet

I ran into that trying to source stoneground mustard i used to get thru the local grocer. The mfg will sell direct, picked up at their warehouse in Cali....minimum 1 pallet of 1 gallons...

Yea.....never mind.....

As an update I believe the problem came from incomplete seal. I use metal caps lined with plastisol. I learned the plastisol needs a minimum temperature of 180 for a proper seal. My hot fill is only 165.

The solution is to simply preheat the caps to between 180 - 190F.

Solution
So now you know (unfortunately through a bad seal) that your product will darken after opening. So you may want to try the ascorbic acid so your product will keep its color for your customers. Of course now, it should until opened (with the seal).

sounds like bottles weren't properly sealed. The plastisol caps sound like the lids for canning jars that have the rubber seal used with the canning rings. When doing canning or BWB, the lids, and some caps that I have used for jams and such, the lids should be put into a sauce pan with water and brought to a light simmer, then kept warm until used.

Back