misc Sauces Scoville Rating

OK, I am going to bother you all again for some advice and opinions. An online retailer that I had sent out samples to has decided to carry our products. That news made me happy, :lol: but they want to know what the scoville ratings are for our sauces and I haven't a clue. Where can I get this checked, tested or whatever. HELP! :?

Well, it ain't cheap. It has to be sent to a lab or other high-priced location that owns a spectral chromatograph. It'll probably run you upwards of $400-500 bucks per test. I think your best bet is to tell the retailer an approximate. This approximate can be obtained by simple deduction of the type of peppers you are using, and the volume of peppers in a bottle (another approximate). Take the mean of the specific pepper Scoville rating (which are published in many locations), and it should yield a rough estimate. If the retailer really likes your sauces, the exact Scoville rating should definitely be secondary.

Not a problem. I refuse to have mine tested at this point, because it's just too damn expensive. Read the reviews of our ZERO sauce, and you'll see that the exact Scoville's aren't necessary, it's just plain hot.

i've had a question about this as well and this really helps. but let me know if i have it stright, lets say your have a sauce and all thats in is habs, normal habs or around 85,000 su. and lets say there about five habs per bottle do u just take 85,000 and dived it by five or is that night right?

Unless you clone your peppers (hey, wait a minute, I have to look into that), and take the EXACT same pepper parts for use, down to the molecular level, you will have variance. This is just the reason we haven't had our tested yet, as stated, it's just too expensive. Hot is hot, bottom line.

When I get a sauce I don't know the scovie of, I sit down with about 10 or more bottles and taste each one, with friends. and we line them up by heat. I have a lot of stuff from no heat to 1.5M scovies to compare to. :lol:

Not a bad way of doing it. Having a benchmark to use against other sauces is good, hoever, there are 'different' kinds of hot. According to some, our ZERO is a slow building long lasting heat, while others, Dave Insanity, etc. are quick harsh burns.

The more I see the word Scoville Unit the less I like it. Could you possibly make it more subjective??? I want to know, how many retailers out there are publishing approximate scoville units???

:x

I'm going to start a movement where all those who spend the money on the HPCL publish the ppm. That way the customer knows whether or not the number is real or simply an approximation.

Back